Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional format if cell match found in another range of cells

I have a list of codes on Sheet 2 (A1:A90). When I enter data into cell C1 on
Sheet 1, I want it to look at the codes on Sheet 2 and if the code I entered
matches any of the ones in the list, then make the text in that cell blue or
bold. I understand about naming the cell range, but can't figure out the
matching part.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unfortunately, you can't use Conditional Formatting based on other
Worksheets or Workbooks. It has to be used on the same worksheet. With
that in mind, you may need to use a helper cell on the same sheet. For
example, in M1 use the following formula.

=COUNTIF(Sheet1!A1:A90,A2)

The use conditional formatting. Click drop-down and select "Formula Is".
Then enter the formula below:

=M10

HTH,
Paul

"Nolene" wrote in message
I have a list of codes on Sheet 2 (A1:A90). When I enter data into cell C1
on
Sheet 1, I want it to look at the codes on Sheet 2 and if the code I
entered
matches any of the ones in the list, then make the text in that cell blue
or
bold. I understand about naming the cell range, but can't figure out the
matching part.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Create this named formula:

InsertNameDefine
Name: IsMatch
Refers to: =COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$90,Sheet1!$C$1)
OK

Select cell C1 on Sheet1 and set the formatting.
FormatConditional Formatting
Formula Is: =IsMatch
Click the Format button
Select the style(s) desired