Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Running total within a cell

Is it possible to have a cell set up so that when a number is inserted it is
added to the existing number in that cell without having to add them
manually?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

bob2525, You will have no history of what was put in the cells that way, but
if you want to do this have a look here for a way,

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"bob2525" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a cell set up so that when a number is inserted it
is
added to the existing number in that cell without having to add them
manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you Paul. This will be a large spreadsheet and we are just keeping
running totals of activities by month. I will look through these solutions
for the easiest one that could be replicated throughout the spreadsheet.
Thanks again.

"bob2525" wrote in message
Is it possible to have a cell set up so that when a number is inserted it
is
added to the existing number in that cell without having to add them
manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would not recommend it due to the fact you have no "paper trail" to follow in
case of trouble-shooting data entry.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP