Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with Data Validation and limiting characters

I need to limit the characters of one cell to a maximum of 28.

Here's what I've done:

Data Validation
Allow: Text length
Data: Less than or equal to
Maximum: 28

However this isn't working. It is still allowing any number of characters
over 28. I even tried:

Allow: Text length
Data: Between
Minimum:0
Maximum: 28

all to no avail. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It sounds like the Data Validation alerts are either disabled or set to
somethng other than "STOP"

From the Excel main menu:
<data<validation<error alert tab
The style setting should be: STOP

(otherwise, invalid entries will be allowed)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

Data: Less than or equal to
Maximum: 28

Data: Between
Minimum:0
Maximum: 28

all to no avail. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Ron Coderre" wrote ...
....Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

Absolutely and it worked like a dream. I can't believe I couldn't figure
that one out.

Thank you so much!