Tim

Default Limiting Validation entries to 2 places after a decimal

I have a multi-user spreadsheet to enter dollar values. How can I limit a
user from entering, for example, 43.703 when the correct entry is 43.70?

I can do this by changing the number format but do not want to do that.
Chip Pearson

You can do this with Data Validation on the Data menu. Open the
Data Validation box, choose Custom from the list, and use the
formula

=FIND(".",A1,1)=LEN(A1)-2

Change A1 to the appropriate cell reference.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Tim" wrote in message
I have a multi-user spreadsheet to enter dollar values. How can
I limit a
user from entering, for example, 43.703 when the correct entry
is 43.70?

I can do this by changing the number format but do not want to
do that.

Sloth

I don't know how to do exactly what you are asking, but this might help.
Goto Tools-Options-Calculation and select "Precision as Displayed". Then
format the fields to a number with two decimal places. Then when someone
enters 43.703 it will convert the number to 43.70 automatically (not just the
output). However if someone enters 43.709 it will convert the number to
43.71 automatically. This actually rounds the cell value to the nearest
100th place. It's not just changing the output, and you will permanently
lose any precision beyond the 100th place.

"Tim" wrote:

I have a multi-user spreadsheet to enter dollar values. How can I limit a
user from entering, for example, 43.703 when the correct entry is 43.70?

I can do this by changing the number format but do not want to do that.

Peo Sjoblom

Select the cell (assume it's A1) do datavalidation and allow custom and use
this formula

=MOD(100*A1,1)=0

Peo Sjoblom

"Tim" wrote in message
I have a multi-user spreadsheet to enter dollar values. How can I limit a
user from entering, for example, 43.703 when the correct entry is 43.70?

I can do this by changing the number format but do not want to do that.

JE McGimpsey

One way:

Assume the validation is to be applied to cell A1:

Allow: Custom
Formula: =ABS(A1-ROUND(A1,2))<1E-8

In article ,
Tim wrote:

I have a multi-user spreadsheet to enter dollar values. How can I limit a
user from entering, for example, 43.703 when the correct entry is 43.70?

I can do this by changing the number format but do not want to do that.

Sloth

Good job. I assume the other suggestions work, but yours is the most
straight-foward. It should be noted however that if you select a range of
cells to validate, "A1" should be replaced by top left cell in the selected
region. Also, this might frustrate users who are not experienced with excel.
The pop up does not explain the restriction, only the fact that it is
restricted. But then again, my solution my frustate them as well, and would
have worse consequences if they messed something up.

"Tim" wrote in message
I have a multi-user spreadsheet to enter dollar values. How can I limit a
user from entering, for example, 43.703 when the correct entry is 43.70?

I can do this by changing the number format but do not want to do that.

Peo Sjoblom

No offense taken at all

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)