Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ROUNDUP and -1

I read Help before I post.

=ROUNDUP(11.99999,-1) yields 20

I can understand this.

=ROUNDUP(1.99999,-1) yields 10

I have a hard time accepting this regardless of whether this is logical. I prefer an error returned. Maybe for a case like this, we need to do a logical test first for the number of decimal places available to the left of the decimal point? Any comments?

Can someone give me a good example where we will use -1 with ROUNDUP?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One example I can perhaps think of would be in doing some statistics work?
Where you want to take values and round them up to certain grouping levels?
With use of various negative values, you can round 1.99999 up to 10, 100,
1000, 10000, etc. But it probably isn't a great demand for that kind of
thing - but then I'm not in stats field, so I could be wrong? Might be a big
demand for it in some areas of endeavor somewhere??

"Epinn" wrote:

I read Help before I post.

=ROUNDUP(11.99999,-1) yields 20

I can understand this.

=ROUNDUP(1.99999,-1) yields 10

I have a hard time accepting this regardless of whether this is logical. I prefer an error returned. Maybe for a case like this, we need to do a logical test first for the number of decimal places available to the left of the decimal point? Any comments?

Can someone give me a good example where we will use -1 with ROUNDUP?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If I'm working with large numbers, I may not care about those little bits.

For example, if I'm working with thousands and don't care about hundreds, then I
may want to use:

=roundup(a1,-3)
so that if A1=12345, I'd see 13000.

I would imagine that there are some people who may want to see everything in
multiples of 10, too.

So =roundup(a1,-1) is available to them.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for responding.

I didn't think of =ROUNDUP(1.99999,-2), =ROUNUP(1.99999,-3) etc. Interesting.

ROUND is so different. Both =ROUND(1.9999,-1) and =ROUND(1.99999,-2) give me 0. It's easier for me to accept these results.

=ROUNDUP(22,-1) yields 30 while =ROUND(22,-1) yields 20 and =ROUND(25,-1) yields 30.

If you wonder if I have a question, I say probably not. I just feel like making a comment as I find all this confusing. I guess most offices don't need this.

Thank you for reading. Comments on ROUND and ROUNDUP welcome. I hope the forum "police" not around. ;)

Epinn

"Epinn" wrote in message ...
I read Help before I post.

=ROUNDUP(11.99999,-1) yields 20

I can understand this.

=ROUNDUP(1.99999,-1) yields 10

I have a hard time accepting this regardless of whether this is logical. I prefer an error returned. Maybe for a case like this, we need to do a logical test first for the number of decimal places available to the left of the decimal point? Any comments?

Can someone give me a good example where we will use -1 with ROUNDUP?

Thanks.

Epinn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am here to learn but occasionally I end up entertaining/telling jokes (a byproduct of my unique way of interpreting things). Wonder if you guys have read my joke on SUMPRODUCT and Boolean. I have to laugh it away.

Dave is right. I don't like ROUNDUP( ), especially when it is -1. I have the mind of an accountant or a programmer. I need to balance to the penny. ;)

Glad you both dropped by and chatted with me.