Drew Halevy

Default formula (IF) question

Greetings,

I do tech support (Exchange) for a school district, and I have been
approached with an Excel question by one of the users. I am fairly skilled
with Excel, but formulas are a weakness for me. In a simplified form, here
is the problem.

cells A1:E1 list the names of school

cells A2:E2 list a value (in this case, a checkmark)

that the end user is looking for in cell F2 is a formula that will look at
cells A2:E2, and if all the cells are checked, will return one value, if all
the cells are unchecked, will return a second value, and if only some are
checked, will return a third value.

Any thoughts? I have tried playing with IF formulas, but have not had much
success. Thanks In Advance. -Drew

JudithJubilee

Hello there,

You could try and combine the And function with the IF
functions:

y = the check mark you choose
"" = Blanks

=IF(AND(A1="y",B1="y",C1="y",D1="y",E="y"),"All values
are checked",IF(AND(A1="",B1="",C1="",D1="",E=""),"All
values are blank","There are some checks"))

The AND function gives a True if all the conditions are
met and a False if one of them is not met. You can have
upto 30 conditions in an AND function.

Hope this helps

Judith

I do tech support (Exchange) for a school district, and

I have been
approached with an Excel question by one of the users. I

am fairly skilled
with Excel, but formulas are a weakness for me. In a

simplified form, here
is the problem.

cells A1:E1 list the names of school

cells A2:E2 list a value (in this case, a checkmark)

that the end user is looking for in cell F2 is a formula

that will look at
cells A2:E2, and if all the cells are checked, will

return one value, if all
the cells are unchecked, will return a second value, and

if only some are
checked, will return a third value.

Any thoughts? I have tried playing with IF formulas, but

have not had much
success. Thanks In Advance. -Drew

.

Jason Morin

Try:

=CHOOSE(ROUNDUP(COUNTIF(A2:E2,"x")/5/0.9,0)
+1,"v1","v2","v3")

I used "x" rather than a checkmark.

v1 = value when no checkmarks exist
v2 = value when some checkmarks exist
v3 = value when all 5 checkmarks exist

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

[...]

Bel

Based on Judith and Bob, I modified that formula, so you can count how many
the box checked.
=IF(COUNTA(A2:E2)=5, "5", IF(COUNTA(A2:E2)=0, "0", COUNTA(A2:E2)))