Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Default Adding Time Function

Howdy!

I am working on a project where I have a start time in [h]:mm:ss and
duration of time in seconds.
I would like to add the seconds to the time and come up with a time
formatted result

Here is an example:

Cell B1 has a Start time of 3:59:50 PM (format [h]:mm:ss)
Cell B2 has a Duration of 21 seconds. (Some of the durations can be more
than 3600 seconds)
Cell B3 would be the Result: End time should be 4:00:11 PM

I have the cell formatting set to general for the seconds. I don't know the
correct time format for those cells.
I have searched the web and cant seem to find it anywhere. I see adding time
etc but not what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Joe,

If cell B2 has a duration of 21 seconds,
use time function, in B3 : =time(0,0,B2)
and then just add, in B4 : =A2+B3

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Joe" wrote in message
Howdy!

I am working on a project where I have a start time in [h]:mm:ss and
duration of time in seconds.
I would like to add the seconds to the time and come up with a time
formatted result

Here is an example:

Cell B1 has a Start time of 3:59:50 PM (format [h]:mm:ss)
Cell B2 has a Duration of 21 seconds. (Some of the durations can be more
than 3600 seconds)
Cell B3 would be the Result: End time should be 4:00:11 PM

I have the cell formatting set to general for the seconds. I don't know
the correct time format for those cells.
I have searched the web and cant seem to find it anywhere. I see adding
time etc but not what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance for any help!

=B1+B2/(24*3600)

[Excel time is measured in days, so you need to convert the seconds in B2
into days to add to B1.]
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Thanks! Those did the trick.

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to help me.

-Joe