windsurferLA

Default Xfer of XL95 custom menus into XL97

This is a continuation of a prior thread entitled, "Editing XL95 custom
menus with XL97," as the current one was getting very long. This post
is a replica of the last post on that thread. For those who may be
interested, I'm seeking to retain the ability to modify custom menu
items after moving an XL95 workbook onto an Office97 base. Although the
old menu items work, they cannot be modified. Bob Phillips suggested
that I use John Walkenbach's menu maker utility to expedite the building
of the Macros from scratch under XL97. I've been able to get John
Walkenbach's menu maker utility to work when I paste it into a virgin
XL97 workbook but not when I paste it into the workbook upgraded from
XL95 to XL97. I'm very appreciative for the help received to date.

Also at issue, should this topic be moved to the Excel Programming
NewsGroup?

CONTINUING THE THREAD

Bob Phillips wrote: Sounds as though the Office library reference has
gone. In the VB IDE, goto ToolsReferences. Is there a ticked entry for
Microsoft Office n.n Object Library, where n.n is a version number?
If not, scroll down un til you find it (it is probably near the top,
else in alphabetical order) and check it.

BOB, YOU ARE RIGHT ... but we still don't have solution.

Office Library Reference is gone, but the problem seems yet more
complex. When I go to the VB macro editor after opening the main
workbook (that has been converted automatically from XL95 to XL97), the
option to look at the Office Library Reference is grayed out. Thus I
can't scroll through the list of Office Library References.

I have also investigated the Office Library Reference in an test
workbook (1) created from scatch using XL97, (2) incorporating the menu
creator macros, and (3) in which the menu creator works just fine. When
that TEST workbook is open, the Office Library References are
accessible, and there is an MSOffice 8.0 Object Library WITH a check
Checking the MSOffice95 Object Library did not seem to help.

see http://spreadsheet.home.comcast.net/Off-Libe.gif

Another issue that might be related has to do with the list of saved
programs. The main workbook uses the AutoSave macro to rename
previously saved versions and save the most recent version as the prime
version. I note that when I go back to open Excel, the main workbook is
not listed in the list of recently saved files.

ALTERNATIVE??? Rather than trying to solve all these issues, how about
if I just start with a virgin XL97 workbook, copy in the data and copy
in the content of all the macro sheets. However, I must admit that I'm
uncertain about my ability to copy in all the macro sheets without
loosing some links.
Bob Phillips

If you start afresh in XL97, you should see that it works okay in 2000 as
well.

That is a smart move!

--

HTH

RP

"windsurferLA" wrote in message
[...]

windsurferLA

Bob Phillips wrote:
If you start afresh in XL97, you should see that it works okay in 2000 as
well.

That is a smart move!

I've bit the bullet started with a fresh foundation. I copied macro
modules from old XL95 workbook into new XL987 workbook mere by dragging
macro module icons from old file to new file in VB window. I copied
sheets by dragging sheet tabs from old XL95 workbook to new XL97
workbook. After so doing, MenuMaker as well as my old menus seem to be
working although a few bumps were encountered along the way.

I need to explore the suggested macro from extracting the existing macro
information. I have over 150 macros, and even using MenuMaker, I still
need to copy over the title of each as well as the name of the
associated macro. It's a chore either way.

GLITCH - The only remaining glitch, other than finding the time to copy
all the data, is that when I save the file, the file is not posted to
the list of most recently saved files. It shows up on the list of
recent "documents" on the start menu, but not under the FILE list when
you open XL. Other saved XL97 worksheets do show up in the list.
Somehow I must of displaced the code that adds the name to that part of
the menu bar. ANY IDEAS?

FINALLY - I do hope someone has a program that does automatically what
I've been doing manualLY, as transitioning a more complicated workbook
from XL95 to XL97 would be a impractical. If it was not a tool that I
and others use numerous times every day, there would be no way I would
have invested the many hours needed to move it from XL95 to XL97.