Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you! Two questions:

1) when I use the =Row() function, then I cannot give the starting row the
number 1 - it returns the row number that the cell is actually part of.

2) While this worked for me when inserting a row, it did not automatically
adjust the numbers when I deleted a row.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

NewKid

"NewKid" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi,

try it
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip035.htm

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"NewKid" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Marcelo!
This will work nicely for my purposes! Thanks again.

NewKid in Minnesota, USA