-   -   how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/109406-how-automatically-number-rows-excel-worksheet.html)

NewKid

how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

David Billigmeier

how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

Don't include a cell reference within ROW()... i.e. just use =ROW()

Dave

"NewKid" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

NewKid

how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

Thank you! Two questions:

1) when I use the =Row() function, then I cannot give the starting row the
number 1 - it returns the row number that the cell is actually part of.

2) While this worked for me when inserting a row, it did not automatically
adjust the numbers when I deleted a row.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

NewKid

"NewKid" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

Marcelo

how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

hi,

try it
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip035.htm

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"NewKid" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

NewKid

how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

Thanks Marcelo!
This will work nicely for my purposes! Thanks again.

NewKid in Minnesota, USA

"NewKid" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to automatically number rows in a worksheet. I have used the
=ROW(A1) function and that works alright, BUT it doesn't re-adjust
automatically after a row has been deleted or inserted. I also tried
selecting the range and creating it as a LIST, which works when we delete a
row, but when I insert a row, I have to double-click on the cross-hair on the
bottom right corner of the previous cell.

Does anyone know a way around this?

MANY thanks!!

Marcelo

how to automatically number rows in an excel worksheet

thanks for the feedback