Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I assign a numerical value to a textual entry to calculate percent completion?

Hi guys, I have a spreadsheet that looks as follows

Packslip | Text | Photo | SEO | % Complete

440158 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 66%
440159 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 33%

The ones in this spreadsheet represent "complete" and the zeroes
represent "incomplete" -
The % complete field automatically calculates the total of the 3 stages
of completion and divides them by the number of stages (3) to
calculate a percentage. What I want to be able to do is write
"complete" in place of "1" and have it still asign a numerical value of
"1" in my formula. Is this possible? Thanks!

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I assign a numerical value to a textual entry to calculate

No ...cell contains either "Complete" or "1" not both. Why both? To get %
completion, use

=COUNTIF(B2:D2,"Complete")/3 formatted as %

HTH

"mheavers" wrote:

Hi guys, I have a spreadsheet that looks as follows

Packslip | Text | Photo | SEO | % Complete

440158 | 1 | 0 | 1 | 66%
440159 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 33%

The ones in this spreadsheet represent "complete" and the zeroes
represent "incomplete" -
The % complete field automatically calculates the total of the 3 stages
of completion and divides them by the number of stages (3) to
calculate a percentage. What I want to be able to do is write
"complete" in place of "1" and have it still asign a numerical value of
"1" in my formula. Is this possible? Thanks!

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
You might want to assign the values for "Complete" as 1 and for
"Incomplete" as 0 in a separate sheet and then you will VLOOKUP it when
one enters them below Text, Photo or SEO and the output will be
calculated as before.

Hope this will work fine with you.

Thanks,

Shail