Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Row Limitation - Import External Data

Hi All,
I am having a Text (.txt) file . It contains a record like this:

CalledNo CalledDuration Date
12354 04:50 10/10/2005
4789 12:30 12/25/2005
.....etc.

that Text file contains more than 80,000 records. how can i import that data
from TEXT to EXCEL.
Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You won't be able to put all the data on one sheet if you keep it in a single
block of three columns. Easiest thing to do is break the text file into
pieces less than 65536 lines long and import to separate sheets. This is
fairly easy to do in VBA. Let me know if you'd like more details.

bp

"Avadivelan TCS" wrote:

Hi All,
I am having a Text (.txt) file . It contains a record like this:

CalledNo CalledDuration Date
12354 04:50 10/10/2005
4789 12:30 12/25/2005
....etc.

that Text file contains more than 80,000 records. how can i import that data
from TEXT to EXCEL.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The only way in Excel 2003 would be to import to multiple tabs. e.g. 40,000
records on one tab and 40,000 on another. The easiest way to do this is to
first import your data into Access. Then import your Access database into
Excel:

<Data
<Import External Data
<New Database Query
Choose "MS Access Database"

Then, from within the import wizard you can filter which records to import.
You can, for example, do 1 import filtering all "CalledNo" < 40000... then do
a second import filtering all "CalledNo" =40000.
Dave

"Avadivelan TCS" wrote:

Hi All,
I am having a Text (.txt) file . It contains a record like this:

CalledNo CalledDuration Date
12354 04:50 10/10/2005
4789 12:30 12/25/2005
....etc.

that Text file contains more than 80,000 records. how can i import that data
from TEXT to EXCEL.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Bill Pfister,
Ya i need more details, Is there any macro for automatically fill the data
upto 65536 row in the Sheet1 and the remaining data in the Sheet2

"Avadivelan TCS" wrote:

Hi All,
I am having a Text (.txt) file . It contains a record like this:

CalledNo CalledDuration Date
12354 04:50 10/10/2005
4789 12:30 12/25/2005
....etc.

that Text file contains more than 80,000 records. how can i import that data
from TEXT to EXCEL.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can either use Dave's suggestion to use Access an intermediate step or
you can write code that manually reads the textfile line-by-line and pastes
to the appropriate sheet. If you do not have much programming experience, I
would recommend Dave's suggestion.

"Avadivelan TCS" wrote:

Hi All,
I am having a Text (.txt) file . It contains a record like this:

CalledNo CalledDuration Date
12354 04:50 10/10/2005
4789 12:30 12/25/2005
....etc.

that Text file contains more than 80,000 records. how can i import that data
from TEXT to EXCEL.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Avadivelan TCS wrote:
Ya i need more details, Is there any macro for automatically fill the data
upto 65536 row in the Sheet1 and the remaining data in the Sheet2

Here is the macro to do what you need.

Importing text files larger than 65536 rows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q120596/

Cheerz,
Denzil