Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Combining Data from Seperate Files

Ver. 2003-SP2

I am using excel to extract data from Autocad Drawings. Each Autocad
drawing exports its associated information into a seperate Excel File. I
would like to be able to combine the data into a single file so that I could
run a Pivot Table summarizing the information.

The information is formated into 4 fields, and each drawing exports
different number of record (Garage, Level, Work Item, & Quantity).

A simple but flawed method would be to link the cells directly into the new
'Master' worksheet, however, since each drawing has different # of records, I
can't (I don't think) just link with a given range. Also As I update the
drawings, the number of records in each drawing will again change.

Does anyone have an easy fix to this? I have tried the Consolidate
function, but am unable to make it work. It also appears that I have to
perform some kind of operation on the data when consolidating (sum, product,
average...). I simply need to create a long list from several shorter lists.

EX.
Dwg 1 Dwg2 Dwg3 -- Master
ABCD ABEF ABGH ABCD
ABEF
ABGH

TIA

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jim

Start here
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"JimBadHair" <JBuffet wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I appreciate your time and guidance Ron. I will look into which one of the
options you have provided this weekend.

Have a great week.

Jim