Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 16th 06, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
78degreesinHI
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I get cell data in multiple Excel files into one summary fi

Anybody care to help? Much Mahalos (thanks very much) in advance for trying.

I want to be able to gather data from specific cells within multiple excel
spreadsheet files and have them appear on another excel file that will be a
summary list of all the data collected from the other excel files. In other
words, have stuff from a bunch of excel files be automatically imported into
a single excel file.

I've been playing around with the "import external data" functions with
little success. Is there another way? I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2003.

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 16th 06, 04:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arla
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I get cell data in multiple Excel files into one summary fi

Are you wanting those values to simply appear in various cells of your
"Summary Sheet"?

If that is the case, all you need to do (while both sheets are open) is type
an "=" sign in the cell that you want the data to appear in, and then go to
the sheet where the data comes from and click on that cell. Press enter, and
that means you have created a "link". Each time you open the "Summary Sheet"
excel will ask if you want to update links. If you say yes then the current
figures from your source sheet will appear. If not, the figures that were
last shown in your summary sheet will remain.

I hope that made sense.

Arla

"78degreesinHI" wrote:

Anybody care to help? Much Mahalos (thanks very much) in advance for trying.

I want to be able to gather data from specific cells within multiple excel
spreadsheet files and have them appear on another excel file that will be a
summary list of all the data collected from the other excel files. In other
words, have stuff from a bunch of excel files be automatically imported into
a single excel file.

I've been playing around with the "import external data" functions with
little success. Is there another way? I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2003.

  #3   Report Post  
Old January 16th 06, 05:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
78degreesinHI
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I get cell data in multiple Excel files into one summar

Thanks "Arla",

Links - of course. Great! Would you know how to eliminate any blank cells
from empty links so that my summary list would have consecutive line items?


"Arla" wrote:

Are you wanting those values to simply appear in various cells of your
"Summary Sheet"?

If that is the case, all you need to do (while both sheets are open) is type
an "=" sign in the cell that you want the data to appear in, and then go to
the sheet where the data comes from and click on that cell. Press enter, and
that means you have created a "link". Each time you open the "Summary Sheet"
excel will ask if you want to update links. If you say yes then the current
figures from your source sheet will appear. If not, the figures that were
last shown in your summary sheet will remain.

I hope that made sense.

Arla

"78degreesinHI" wrote:

Anybody care to help? Much Mahalos (thanks very much) in advance for trying.

I want to be able to gather data from specific cells within multiple excel
spreadsheet files and have them appear on another excel file that will be a
summary list of all the data collected from the other excel files. In other
words, have stuff from a bunch of excel files be automatically imported into
a single excel file.

I've been playing around with the "import external data" functions with
little success. Is there another way? I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2003.

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 17th 06, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arla
 
Posts: n/a
Default How do I get cell data in multiple Excel files into one summar

You can put a filter on your data, and choose to show "non-blank" cells.

"78degreesinHI" wrote:

Thanks "Arla",

Links - of course. Great! Would you know how to eliminate any blank cells
from empty links so that my summary list would have consecutive line items?


"Arla" wrote:

Are you wanting those values to simply appear in various cells of your
"Summary Sheet"?

If that is the case, all you need to do (while both sheets are open) is type
an "=" sign in the cell that you want the data to appear in, and then go to
the sheet where the data comes from and click on that cell. Press enter, and
that means you have created a "link". Each time you open the "Summary Sheet"
excel will ask if you want to update links. If you say yes then the current
figures from your source sheet will appear. If not, the figures that were
last shown in your summary sheet will remain.

I hope that made sense.

Arla

"78degreesinHI" wrote:

Anybody care to help? Much Mahalos (thanks very much) in advance for trying.

I want to be able to gather data from specific cells within multiple excel
spreadsheet files and have them appear on another excel file that will be a
summary list of all the data collected from the other excel files. In other
words, have stuff from a bunch of excel files be automatically imported into
a single excel file.

I've been playing around with the "import external data" functions with
little success. Is there another way? I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2003.

  #5   Report Post  
Old August 29th 06, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 1
Default How do I get cell data in multiple Excel files into one summar

Close to the same situation, except I need to be able to pull data from two
seperate cells which are not adjoining cells. Once cell contains text, the
other a time value. Since the file is imported on a montly basis and the cell
position is not constant. I tried to create a macro with the "find" function,
but the multiple cells and differing postions wreck havoc with that.
Suggestions? Thanks

Cbus

"Arla" wrote:

You can put a filter on your data, and choose to show "non-blank" cells.

"78degreesinHI" wrote:

Thanks "Arla",

Links - of course. Great! Would you know how to eliminate any blank cells
from empty links so that my summary list would have consecutive line items?


"Arla" wrote:

Are you wanting those values to simply appear in various cells of your
"Summary Sheet"?

If that is the case, all you need to do (while both sheets are open) is type
an "=" sign in the cell that you want the data to appear in, and then go to
the sheet where the data comes from and click on that cell. Press enter, and
that means you have created a "link". Each time you open the "Summary Sheet"
excel will ask if you want to update links. If you say yes then the current
figures from your source sheet will appear. If not, the figures that were
last shown in your summary sheet will remain.

I hope that made sense.

Arla

"78degreesinHI" wrote:

Anybody care to help? Much Mahalos (thanks very much) in advance for trying.

I want to be able to gather data from specific cells within multiple excel
spreadsheet files and have them appear on another excel file that will be a
summary list of all the data collected from the other excel files. In other
words, have stuff from a bunch of excel files be automatically imported into
a single excel file.

I've been playing around with the "import external data" functions with
little success. Is there another way? I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2003.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import data from files with different names to EXCEL D'base. thunderfoot Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 June 10th 05 11:05 AM
Importing multiple Text files into Excel 2003 JMA Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 5th 05 09:48 PM
Exporting from Excel to multiple XML files Questions Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 March 17th 05 10:20 PM
multiple or changing colours in a data table on an excel chart fo. Kerri Buxton Charts and Charting in Excel 2 December 23rd 04 07:39 PM
Why do my links break when I burn multiple Excel files to a CD? akrr-rasmussen Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 17th 04 02:39 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017