Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Working with logical functions

I am Working with Excel 2003 using the IF operator where the correct result
appears but the value doesn't make sense to me. Using the following:
=IF(C9<F9,"0",C9-F9) where C9 is 600,000 and F9 is the product of
10,000,000*.07 which is 700,000 the result is correctly the number zero (0).

The trouble is if I attempt to use that cell for additional calculations the
value (0) is greater than any positive number. What am I missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Remove the quotations ,"0" and use 0 instead, you made the zero into text
and text is seen as greater than any numbers

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"beyond22" wrote in message
I am Working with Excel 2003 using the IF operator where the correct result
appears but the value doesn't make sense to me. Using the following:
=IF(C9<F9,"0",C9-F9) where C9 is 600,000 and F9 is the product of
10,000,000*.07 which is 700,000 the result is correctly the number zero
(0).

The trouble is if I attempt to use that cell for additional calculations
the
value (0) is greater than any positive number. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(C9<F9,"0",C9-F9)

Remove the quotes " " from around the 0.

=IF(C9<F9,0,C9-F9)

Enclosing numbers in quotes makes them TEXT. TEXT will always evaluate to be
greater than ANY number.

"0" 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 = TRUE

Biff

"beyond22" wrote in message
I am Working with Excel 2003 using the IF operator where the correct result
appears but the value doesn't make sense to me. Using the following:
=IF(C9<F9,"0",C9-F9) where C9 is 600,000 and F9 is the product of
10,000,000*.07 which is 700,000 the result is correctly the number zero
(0).

The trouble is if I attempt to use that cell for additional calculations
the
value (0) is greater than any positive number. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're entering 0 as text. Try eliminating the quotation marks around it.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"beyond22" wrote:

I am Working with Excel 2003 using the IF operator where the correct result
appears but the value doesn't make sense to me. Using the following:
=IF(C9<F9,"0",C9-F9) where C9 is 600,000 and F9 is the product of
10,000,000*.07 which is 700,000 the result is correctly the number zero (0).

The trouble is if I attempt to use that cell for additional calculations the
value (0) is greater than any positive number. What am I missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(C9<F9,"0",C9-F9)

Maybe an alternative if you prefer:

=MAX(C9-F9,0)