Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can a column of data be searched from bottom to top

I have a significant amount of data that is date and time ordered. I would
like to search the last column of this data for a marker that I have manually
inserted at certain data points. The trick is, however, that I want to be
able to search from the end of the column towards the beginning, stopping the
search at the first occurance of the marker. Can't seem to find a function
capable of this? Does anyone know how I can manipulate the 2003 Excel
functions to accomplish this, or am I going to have to try a different
approach?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

With
Your data in A1:A100 (with a marker value interspersed in that range)
and
Marker value to be found in B1

This ARRAY FORMULA* returns the row number of the last cell in A1:A100 that
contains the value in B1
C1: =MAX((A1:A100=B1)*ROW(A1:A100))

Note: For array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
[Enter], instead of just pressing [Enter].

Is that something you can work with?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP