Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gilly

Default Otto M. - Data Matching

That makes sense.

I need help with this - I don't know anything about VBA. Is it used in a
macro?

Thanks - G

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
Anything that you enter into any cell in the MATCH column will wipe out
whatever formula or function or other entry that is already there. What
you should do is enter your "matching" data into some other column and use
VBA to look through all your data and put the matching data in the proper
cells of the MATCH column. Post back if you think this would work for you
and you need help with it. HTH Otto
"Gilly" wrote in message
et...

Anything that you enter into any cell in the MATCH column will wipe out
whatever formula or function or other entry that is already there. What you
should do is enter your "matching" data into some other column and use VBA
to look through all your data and put the matching data in the proper cells
of the MATCH column. Post back if you think this would work for you and you
need help with it. HTH Otto
"Gilly" wrote in message
et...
I have a 3 columns of data:

INFORMATION | TYPE | MATCH
Jim Firstname
Jack Firstname
Tom Firstname
Jones Lastname
Smith Lastname
Davis Lastname

I have a list of data I need to enter into the MATCH column. I would like
a function in the MATCH column that automatically matches the data I enter
in the MATCH column with matching data in the INFORMATION column.

For example, if I enter the following data into the MATCH column

Jack
Smith
Davis

The MATCH column function matches MATCH column data and INFORMATION column
data:

INFORMATION | TYPE | MATCH
Jim Firstname
Jack Firstname Jack
Tom Firstname
Jones Lastname
Smith Lastname Smith
Davis Lastname Davis

I would really appreciate help with this

Thanks - G