Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Read only on CD drive

I am putting excel files on a R/W cd. When I open the file and make some
changes I cannot save it because it says it is read only. I cannot save a
non-read only file to a CD without it changing to read only.
How do I correct for that
charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Office application do not like documents on removable drives. Copy workbook
to harddrive before working on it. Or in place of a CD/R, use a USB thumb
drive - removable yes, but Excel does not seem to care.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"charles" wrote in message
t...
I am putting excel files on a R/W cd. When I open the file and make some
changes I cannot save it because it says it is read only. I cannot save a
non-read only file to a CD without it changing to read only.
How do I correct for that
charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have tried that and I can make changes and save to C: drive but when I go
to change the saved workbook it won't let without changing the name. But
then the new file is read only.
I think you answered that it is something with MS office files.
charles

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Office application do not like documents on removable drives. Copy

workbook
to harddrive before working on it. Or in place of a CD/R, use a USB thumb
drive - removable yes, but Excel does not seem to care.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"charles" wrote in message
t...
I am putting excel files on a R/W cd. When I open the file and make some
changes I cannot save it because it says it is read only. I cannot save

non-read only file to a CD without it changing to read only.
How do I correct for that
charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

After you copy from the CD to the harddrive, open windows explorer and go to the
folder that holds that copied file.

Rightclick on the file and choose properties.
remove the readonly checkmark.

Then open in excel/word/ppt and you should be able to save normally.

Excel (et al) does try to remind you. Notice the window caption -- if you see
[Read Only], you'll know that you can only save a copy.

charles wrote:

I have tried that and I can make changes and save to C: drive but when I go
to change the saved workbook it won't let without changing the name. But
then the new file is read only.
I think you answered that it is something with MS office files.
charles

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Office application do not like documents on removable drives. Copy

workbook
to harddrive before working on it. Or in place of a CD/R, use a USB thumb
drive - removable yes, but Excel does not seem to care.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"charles" wrote in message
t...
I am putting excel files on a R/W cd. When I open the file and make some
changes I cannot save it because it says it is read only. I cannot save

non-read only file to a CD without it changing to read only.
How do I correct for that
charles

--

Dave Peterson