Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default DMAX wrong calculation

Hi there,
I am using Excel 9.0.7616 SP-3.
The calculation is very simple =DMAX(H3:H18,1,H3:H18), even though all cells
in that small database have numbers the result says "0". All those cells have
different formulas to calculate values from another cells. If I remove all
formulas from those cells the DMAX functions works fine.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Alex

It seems DMAX works on data not formulas. However MAx will work for you e.g.
max(h3:h18)

Regards
Peter

"AlexKoL" wrote:

Hi there,
I am using Excel 9.0.7616 SP-3.
The calculation is very simple =DMAX(H3:H18,1,H3:H18), even though all cells
in that small database have numbers the result says "0". All those cells have
different formulas to calculate values from another cells. If I remove all
formulas from those cells the DMAX functions works fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No that's not the case, it's because the OP didn't use it properly, ii
indeed he only want the max value in H3:H18 the obvious function would of
course be MAX. DMAX is a database function and it makes no sense using it on
a single range, however one way to use it would be this, H3 needs to be a
header, for instance "Amounts", in H1 put amounts and leave H2 empty, then
use the following

=DMAX(H3:H18,"Amounts",H1:H2)

will return the max value in H4:H18 regardless of formulas, but it doesn't
make any sense using it since MAX will do the work easier

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"AlexKoL" wrote:

Hi there,
I am using Excel 9.0.7616 SP-3.
The calculation is very simple =DMAX(H3:H18,1,H3:H18), even though all
cells
in that small database have numbers the result says "0". All those cells
have
different formulas to calculate values from another cells. If I remove
all
formulas from those cells the DMAX functions works fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much!
I was using the wrong formula. The weird thing is that when using the DMAX
one it worked fine sometimes on another colum. Maybe because the result in
those cells were not the same (the formulas were the same).

Best Regards
AlexKoL