Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Rob is offline

Default How to keep 0 in front of # in excel (ex: 018787766316)

I have a UPC code I am trying to upload to nextag. When I convert the UPC
code to Numbers or Text and then save the file as .csv for uploading, the
first digit of the UPC code disappears.

Ex: 0-18787-76631-6 I have to remove all dashes, apostrophes, etc, as per
Nextag specs, and in order for the zero to remain as the first digit I have
to convcer the formatting of the cell to text, but when I save the file for
upload the zero drops off, and I am left with 18787766316, which results in
an error. Any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rob Rob is offline

I realize how to format the cell, as stated below, the problem is when I save
the file and reopen the formatting changes. Example: I take the UPC code
0-18787-76631-6, format the cell for text and remove the dashes. All is
fine. I then save the file so I can retrieve it for upload in nextag's
interface and when I reopen the file, the 0 in front of the number is gone.
I need to be able to keep that zero infront of the number as it is crucial to
the UPC code. Any other ideas???

"Rob" wrote in message ...
I have a UPC code I am trying to upload to nextag. When I convert the UPC
code to Numbers or Text and then save the file as .csv for uploading, the
first digit of the UPC code disappears.

Ex: 0-18787-76631-6 I have to remove all dashes, apostrophes, etc, as per
Nextag specs, and in order for the zero to remain as the first digit I have
to convert the formatting of the cell to text, but when I save the file for
upload the zero drops off, and I am left with 18787766316, which results in
an error. Any ideas???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have no idea what nextag is, but if you're just re-opening the CVS file in
excel to check to see if things worked correctly, stop doing this!

Open that text CSV file in Notepad--or any other text editor.

The CSV file will look pretty in Notepad, but excel will do what it wants when
it opens the file (numbers will be treated as numbers; things that look like
dates, will be treated as dates).

You can have more control over how excel sees the data if you rename the file
from *.csv to *.txt when you can make choices from the data import wizard.

"Rob" wrote in message ...
I have a UPC code I am trying to upload to nextag. When I convert the UPC
code to Numbers or Text and then save the file as .csv for uploading, the
first digit of the UPC code disappears.

Ex: 0-18787-76631-6 I have to remove all dashes, apostrophes, etc, as per
Nextag specs, and in order for the zero to remain as the first digit I have
to convert the formatting of the cell to text, but when I save the file for
upload the zero drops off, and I am left with 18787766316, which results in
an error. Any ideas???

--

Dave Peterson