Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formulas to speed up many manual "=()" commands

I am after a way of using formulas replace manual "=()" commands in the
following situation...

I have 2 adjacent columns of data on one sheet that include a weighing
pan number and its corresponding mass. When entering the data of
weighed items, I just record the initial weigh pan number in the data
sheet. How would I insert the relevant weigh pan mass value for a given
item (from the initial 2 columns mentioned) in a column adjacent to, or
replacing the corresponding pan numbers in my new worksheet. I can do
this manually by using the "=()" command but it takes forever with a
big data set

This is complicated by using a particular boat multiple times, so
ranking both sets of data and subsequently copying columns will not
work.

Cheers

--
Cantab
Cantab's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37685

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Can you set up a table w/pan numbers and their mass (let's say this table is
in A1:B4)

Pan Mass
1 0.5
2 0.65
3 0.8
4 1

Then in a column next to your data, use

=VLOOKUP(PanNumber, $A$1:$B$4, 2, FALSE)

where PanNumber is the cell reference containing the pan number used. Copy
the formula down as far as needed.

"Cantab" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Worked just how I had hoped. Just saved me a day or so of mucking
around. Thanks :)