Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PW PW is offline

Default Getting wrong values

I'm missing something simple, but I am trying to get a value (displayed as a
percentage) in one cell, using the cell next to it as part of the equation.

The problem is that the second cell is displaying a value from an equation
that's built inside of it and when I use it for the first cell, I get a wrong
value.

I have cells B8 & C8.
Inside of B8 I want to display the value (as a %) while using cell C8 as
part of the equation. ex (B8 = C8/6).

However, C8 has an equation related to some other cells. (C8 =
Average(D8:AA8).

In other words, the value that is displayed in C8 (Which is "5.8") is the
number that I want to use for the equation in B8, however, I'm getting the
wrong answer.

What can I do to use only the value in C8 for the equation in B8?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PW PW is offline

Jim,

I used that, but got a different value...

"Jim May" wrote:

In Cell B8 enter:
=(C8/6)
then Format as %

"PW" wrote:

I'm missing something simple, but I am trying to get a value (displayed as a
percentage) in one cell, using the cell next to it as part of the equation.

The problem is that the second cell is displaying a value from an equation
that's built inside of it and when I use it for the first cell, I get a wrong
value.

I have cells B8 & C8.
Inside of B8 I want to display the value (as a %) while using cell C8 as
part of the equation. ex (B8 = C8/6).

However, C8 has an equation related to some other cells. (C8 =
Average(D8:AA8).

In other words, the value that is displayed in C8 (Which is "5.8") is the
number that I want to use for the equation in B8, however, I'm getting the
wrong answer.

What can I do to use only the value in C8 for the equation in B8?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In a blank cell enter = Average(D8:AA8)
What do you get? - What you expect?
Continue to break-it-down into it's parts..
All parts must work in Excel for the final part to work.
Jim

"PW" wrote:

Jim,

I used that, but got a different value...

"Jim May" wrote:

In Cell B8 enter:
=(C8/6)
then Format as %

"PW" wrote:

I'm missing something simple, but I am trying to get a value (displayed as a
percentage) in one cell, using the cell next to it as part of the equation.

The problem is that the second cell is displaying a value from an equation
that's built inside of it and when I use it for the first cell, I get a wrong
value.

I have cells B8 & C8.
Inside of B8 I want to display the value (as a %) while using cell C8 as
part of the equation. ex (B8 = C8/6).

However, C8 has an equation related to some other cells. (C8 =
Average(D8:AA8).

In other words, the value that is displayed in C8 (Which is "5.8") is the
number that I want to use for the equation in B8, however, I'm getting the
wrong answer.

What can I do to use only the value in C8 for the equation in B8?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi PW,

Try =VALUE(C8)/6

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please be more clear; "wrong answer" and "different answer" are too vague.
What did you expect and what did you get instead?
And what exactly where the values of the input cells?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel