Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default something more than vlookup??

Hi,

I have a database of Requestors and Request IDs. I used Vlookup to Return
the requestors name if i enter a request ID coz one request ID can be of one
requestor only.

But....One requestor can have many request IDs. Now what function should I
use to return all the request IDs if I enter one requestor's name.

For example ---

E456 --- A
E123 --- B
E222 --- A
F567 --- G
D333 --- A

Now as per this sample, If i enter E456, VLOOKUP would return A. But If I
enter A, I want excel to return E456, E222 and D333.

Thanks in advance.
GARY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

This data is in the range A2:B6:

E456 --- A
E123 --- B
E222 --- A
F567 --- G
D333 --- A

D2 = lookup value = A

Enter this formula as an array using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)<=COUNTIF(B$2:B$6,D$2),INDEX(A$2:A$6 ,SMALL(IF(B$2:B$6=D$2,ROW(A$2:A$6)-ROW(A$2)+1),ROWS($1:1))),"")

Copy down until you get blanks.

Biff

"Gary" wrote in message

I have a database of Requestors and Request IDs. I used Vlookup to Return
the requestors name if i enter a request ID coz one request ID can be of
one requestor only.

But....One requestor can have many request IDs. Now what function should I
use to return all the request IDs if I enter one requestor's name.

For example ---

E456 --- A
E123 --- B
E222 --- A
F567 --- G
D333 --- A

Now as per this sample, If i enter E456, VLOOKUP would return A. But If I
enter A, I want excel to return E456, E222 and D333.

Thanks in advance.
GARY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff.

It returns the first one correct. but it gives me a #NUM error in all the
cells after that as I copy down.

"Gary" wrote in message

I have a database of Requestors and Request IDs. I used Vlookup to Return
the requestors name if i enter a request ID coz one request ID can be of
one requestor only.

But....One requestor can have many request IDs. Now what function should
I use to return all the request IDs if I enter one requestor's name.

For example ---

E456 --- A
E123 --- B
E222 --- A
F567 --- G
D333 --- A

Now as per this sample, If i enter E456, VLOOKUP would return A. But If I
enter A, I want excel to return E456, E222 and D333.

Thanks in advance.
GARY

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

"Gary" wrote:
I tried it with the same data, location and formula that you posted. dint
change anything.

But perhaps you overlooked Biff's step on array-entering the formula,

--
Max
Singapore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

But perhaps you overlooked Biff's step on array-entering the formula,
Enter this formula as an array using the key combination of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (CSE)

In the formula bar, if confirmed correctly you should see* curly braces { }
inserted by Excel at both ends: {<formula} (don't type-in these braces!).
Once confirmed correctly, the array formula can then be copied down as per
normal formulae.
*Visual check this before you proceed to copy the formula down

Note that the CSE has to be re-done each time should the formula be edited
for whatever reason. You'd get wrong results if the formulas are not
correctly array-entered. It's all too easy to forget to do the CSE <g
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Glad you got Biff's solution up and working !
--
"Gary" wrote:
Oh yes Max....i actually overlooked it.
Thanks...its working.
Thanks Biff.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad you got Biff's solution up and working !

Me too!

Thanks to Max for the assist, also!

Biff