Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default calculating average with blank cells

Hi
I have 4 columns with an average function on the bottom, however not
all the columns are used all the time, resulting in an error (#DIV/0!).
How do I calculate the average only if the cells are used. If I don't
used one of the columns I would like it to stay blank or return 0
thanks
marvin

--
marvinks
marvinks's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37188

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

enter following formula at the bottom of your columns instead of simple
AVERAGE function.
suppose your data is in col A range(A1:A50), you should change this
range for each column.

=IF(ISERROR(AVERAGE(A1:A50)),"",AVERAGE(A1:A50))

marvinks Wrote:
Hi
I have 4 columns with an average function on the bottom, however not
all the columns are used all the time, resulting in an error (#DIV/0!).
How do I calculate the average only if the cells are used. If I don't
used one of the columns I would like it to stay blank or return 0
thanks
marvin

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

marvinks wrote:
Hi
I have 4 columns with an average function on the bottom, however not
all the columns are used all the time, resulting in an error (#DIV/0!).
How do I calculate the average only if the cells are used. If I don't
used one of the columns I would like it to stay blank or return 0
thanks
marvin

--
marvinks

Hi marvinks

Try:

=IF(ISERR(AVERAGE(A1:A4)),0,AVERAGE(A1:A4))

Adjust ranges as necessary.

Regards

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions