Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Time format shows default of 12:00 AM

I didn't see anything like this problem in the community questions. I
downloaded the "timecard with breaks" template from the MS site. The time-in
and time-out cells are formatted to hh:mm AM/PM. The contents show blank
until a time is entered.
I added a summary schedule worksheet where I formatted the time-in and
time-out cells also to hh:mm AM/PM. I point to each of these cells on the
different timecard sheets (ex Sammy!E11). When there is nothing in the
individual cells, the summary cells show 12:00 AM instead of blank. I don't
understand why this would be, and don't know how to fix it.
I appreciate any suggestions as to how to fix this.

Thanks.
--
Helene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

bpeltzer explained how to correct the problem, as to why it's
happening.......

If you link to any empty cell the result will be 0. Since you have
preformatted the cells as TIME they will display 12:00 AM because 12:00 AM
is the TIME formatted equivalent of 0.

Biff

"Helene" wrote in message
I didn't see anything like this problem in the community questions. I
downloaded the "timecard with breaks" template from the MS site. The
time-in
and time-out cells are formatted to hh:mm AM/PM. The contents show blank
until a time is entered.
I added a summary schedule worksheet where I formatted the time-in and
time-out cells also to hh:mm AM/PM. I point to each of these cells on the
different timecard sheets (ex Sammy!E11). When there is nothing in the
individual cells, the summary cells show 12:00 AM instead of blank. I
don't
understand why this would be, and don't know how to fix it.
I appreciate any suggestions as to how to fix this.

Thanks.
--
Helene

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Following up on the suggestion, using your recommendation "
=IF(ISBLANK(Sammy!E11),"",Sammy!E11)", and I got an error message "Please
use the following format for entering time 12:00 AM". I have formatted both
cells for time.

Any suggestions why this error message is popping up?

Thanks for any help.