Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default convert numbers stored as numbers to text

How do I convert numbers stored as numbers to text quickly? I'm trying to add
in an extra 0 so that I can mail merge amounts e.g the cells (and formula
bar) say 2.1 and I need it to say 2.10. I've tried formatting the cells to
number, text, general e.t.c but it still stays the same in the formula bar
which means that's how it comes out in when it's been merged. I have about
1000 numbers I'll need to change by hand if I can't find out how this is
done.......please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

=TEXT(A1,"#.00")

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"GemmaEiduks" wrote in message
How do I convert numbers stored as numbers to text quickly? I'm trying to
add
in an extra 0 so that I can mail merge amounts e.g the cells (and formula
bar) say 2.1 and I need it to say 2.10. I've tried formatting the cells to
number, text, general e.t.c but it still stays the same in the formula bar
which means that's how it comes out in when it's been merged. I have about
1000 numbers I'll need to change by hand if I can't find out how this is
done.......please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

insert a new column and type this formula and fill it all the way down

=Text(a1,"0.00")

Now copy this new column and paste special -values over Column A

Your column A will now show the new values the way you wanted.(2.1 will show
as 2.10) (Assumed that the numbers are in column A.)

"GemmaEiduks" wrote in message
How do I convert numbers stored as numbers to text quickly? I'm trying to
add
in an extra 0 so that I can mail merge amounts e.g the cells (and formula
bar) say 2.1 and I need it to say 2.10. I've tried formatting the cells to
number, text, general e.t.c but it still stays the same in the formula bar
which means that's how it comes out in when it's been merged. I have about
1000 numbers I'll need to change by hand if I can't find out how this is
done.......please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What does the formula bar say if you try to add more decimal points by
FormatCellsNumber?

Sounds to like your numbers are already text.

That's why you can't change 2.1 to 2.10

Format to General.

Copy an empty cell and paste special on the 2.1 cell.

Add more decimal places.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP