Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
rncolon

Default Convert random numbers to text..

HAPPY EVERYTHING!!

I have a problem and after searching for an answer for at least 3 hours
I am stumped.

I have a spreadsheet formatted as follows:

Row B2 -- DT2 is the name of Regions.
ColumnA3 down to A50 are products.

In the cells to the left os A3.. and beneath each Region there are
numbers ranging from
1-- 70000(sample). I need to replace all cells which have a value and
are not empty with an 'X'. I then have a SQL script to extract that
data in to a db.

I have found many macros, scripts for converting to monetary values to
text in just about any language, various vlookup and other conversion
scripts but can not figure out how to do the above.. I would really
appreciate any assistance!!!!

TIA!!

Raymond

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
Otto Moehrbach

I take it that you have a range and you want Excel to look at every cell in
that range, and if the cell is not empty and it has a number in it, replace
whatever is in the cell with "X". If that is what you want, the following
macro will do that. Note that you need to define (Set) the range MyRng in
the macro to the range you want. As written, the macro sets the range to
the used range of Column A from A1 down. HTH Otto

Sub Test()
Dim MyRng As Range
Dim i As Range
Set MyRng = Range("A1", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
For Each i In MyRng
If IsNumeric(i) And Not IsEmpty(i) Then _
i.Value = "X"
Next i
End Sub
"rncolon" wrote in message
oups.com...
HAPPY EVERYTHING!!

I have a problem and after searching for an answer for at least 3 hours
I am stumped.

I have a spreadsheet formatted as follows:

Row B2 -- DT2 is the name of Regions.
ColumnA3 down to A50 are products.

In the cells to the left os A3.. and beneath each Region there are
numbers ranging from
1-- 70000(sample). I need to replace all cells which have a value and
are not empty with an 'X'. I then have a SQL script to extract that
data in to a db.

I have found many macros, scripts for converting to monetary values to
text in just about any language, various vlookup and other conversion
scripts but can not figure out how to do the above.. I would really
appreciate any assistance!!!!

TIA!!

Raymond

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
Dave Peterson

Select that range (whole column?)
Edit|Goto
check Constants
and uncheck Text, Logicals, Errors (leave Numbers checked)
click ok

Type X and hit ctrl enter.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
rncolon

thank you very much for your very FAST responses.
I will be testing both out shortly and reply!!

Happy EVERYTHING!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
rncolon

Both suggestions worked..