Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking up multiple values for a single name

I am trying to look up a name and return a sum of all values in one column
associated with that name. There are between one and five values for each
name. I am only able to return one value for each name, rather than the sum
of all the values. Is there a way to look up all instances of an item and
return the sum of the corresponding values?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Aaron Dyck skrev:

I am trying to look up a name and return a sum of all values in one column
associated with that name. There are between one and five values for each
name. I am only able to return one value for each name, rather than the sum
of all the values. Is there a way to look up all instances of an item and
return the sum of the corresponding values?

Hi Aaron,

With the information given maybe you can use the SUMPRODUCT()
Maybe something like:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5="Name"),B1:B5)
If your names are in column A and values in column B

Maybe the information on this site will be helpful:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctio...tml#SumProduct

Regards,
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

try
=sumif(criteria range,criteria,datarange)

"Aaron Dyck" wrote:

I am trying to look up a name and return a sum of all values in one column
associated with that name. There are between one and five values for each
name. I am only able to return one value for each name, rather than the sum
of all the values. Is there a way to look up all instances of an item and
return the sum of the corresponding values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer. I am trying to
look up a value in the first column of another sheet, and return the sum of
the values of the 30th cell in each corresponding row.

What I've got right now is a =vlookup(Name,DataRange,30), but this only
gives me the first instance, and I need to sum up all instances.

"Aaron Dyck" wrote:

I am trying to look up a name and return a sum of all values in one column
associated with that name. There are between one and five values for each
name. I am only able to return one value for each name, rather than the sum
of all the values. Is there a way to look up all instances of an item and
return the sum of the corresponding values?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bj bj is offline

Sumif should still work
=SUMIF(Sheet2!A1:A5,"a",Sheet2!AE1:AE5)
will work on sheet 1 if what you were looking for was an "a"