Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA to launch camera app, take photo & insert in a cell

Hi

Windows 10; Excel 2013; linx tablet

I have a requirement where I need to have XL launch the camera app, wait for me to take a photo, then insert the photo into a particular cell. Has anyone done that or have any idea how to do it?

I have found the code below

Shell ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe")

which works a treat to launch ie . . . the issues I need answers to a

1) I don't know the path where the camera app resides on Win10

2) Once the camera app is launched and the photo taken how to get it placed in the correct cell in the spreadsheet

3) Anything anyone else can think of that I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

FieldReportonyholden1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Windows 10; Excel 2013; linx tablet

I have a requirement where I need to have XL launch the camera app,
wait for me to take a photo, then insert the photo into a particular
cell. Has anyone done that or have any idea how to do it?

I have found the code below

Shell ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe")

which works a treat to launch ie . . . the issues I need answers to

1) I don't know the path where the camera app resides on Win10

2) Once the camera app is launched and the photo taken how to get it
placed in the correct cell in the spreadsheet

3) Anything anyone else can think of that I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

FieldReportonyholden1

Try using *Insert Picture from File* assuming your camera app is saving
the image...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Thanks for the response. I'm competent with inserting a file of any type into XL. What I actually asked was that i want to launch the camera app from within XL & have the resulting photo placed in a cell.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Thanks for the response. I'm competent with inserting a file of any
type into XL. What I actually asked was that i want to launch the
camera app from within XL & have the resulting photo placed in a
cell.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve

You need to find out if the camera app supports automation! If so then
you can automate it within Excel, by accessing its API. Otherwise no!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks again Garry. I'm now on holiday but will try this on my return & post results

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry

returned from my holiday now - feeling refreshed and rarin' to go!

I've looked into launching the camera app but cannot find the .exe file. After much time I've discovered that apps are stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps but within there there is nothing that appears to be the .exe to run. (I am displaying hidden files and file extensions).

Any ideas? I'm happy to post somewhere more appropriate, as I feel I've strayed away from XL programming now ;o)

Thanks again.

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry

returned from my holiday now - feeling refreshed and rarin' to go!

I've looked into launching the camera app but cannot find the .exe
file. After much time I've discovered that apps are stored in
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps but within there there is nothing that
appears to be the .exe to run. (I am displaying hidden files and file
extensions).

Any ideas? I'm happy to post somewhere more appropriate, as I feel
I've strayed away from XL programming now ;o)

Thanks again.

Steve

That path is for 64bit apps only. If your camera app is 32bit then look
under C:\Program Files (x86)\

Also, see if you can find a forum for camera app users!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry

thanks

there's no WindowsApps folder in C:\Program Files (x86). I'll look for a Camera App forum. It's really frustrating, cos in Windows 7 I'd have achieved this kinda thing in a few minutes.

Thanks again!

Steve