Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Color Scheme

Hi,

If you go to 'File - Options - General', you can set the Color Scheme of
Excel.

In XL2010, you can select 'Blue', 'Silver' or 'Black'.
In XL2013, the options are 'White', 'Light' or 'Dark'.

This raises two questions:

Question 1:
Why on Earth has Microsoft changed this?!?
What the idea? What's the logic?
Why not just add more options instead of totally chage these?!?

Question 2:
Is there any way in VBA to read/get/find out, what Color Scheme the user is
using?!?
I know, I can read it from the Registry, but even both the key and the
values are different from version to version.

In XL2010, the key is 'Theme', and the values are 1=Blue, 2=Silver and
3=Black'
In XL2013, the key is 'UI Theme', with the values are now going from 0 to 2.

I don't get it?!? What's the logic?!?

And, even if I decide to read the Registry, I can't be sure MicroBRAIN isn't
changing it again in the furture!!!

How to fund out what Color Scheme the user is using?!?

TIA,

CE

---
Denne e-mail er fri for virus og malware fordi avast! Antivirus beskyttelse er aktiveret.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Personally, I found it a waste of time trying to manipulate this.

As for the 'logic' behind it.., just think "screw 'em" and you'll
quickly understand their reasoning!

Sorry I don't have better answers...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi,

i never used that, but maybe with the Windows System Colors Using API
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/82158/en

isabelle

Le 2014-04-17 01:54, Charlotte E. a écrit :
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

#1 Yeah the new colours have raised a few eyebrows -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...in-office-2013

As for why, maybe it was chosen exhaustive research by the same team that
"designed" Win8

#2 No idea though no doubt it's the registry. If desperate a few API calls
could probably return the RGB of a pixel in a known relative position on the
Ribbon

Curiosity - why do you want to known what colour the user as chosen for the
Office UI.

Regards,
Peter T

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This option affects all open windows,
open Excel and Word, change this option on Excel and then look what happens on
Word... or Outlook or...

isabelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This option affects all open windows,
open Excel and Word, change this option on Excel and then look what
happens on Word... or Outlook or...

isabelle

Yes, Isabelle! You are quite right! This is why I gave up trying to
manipulate this property since it belongs to the Office Ribbon and NOT
any specific Office app. Thus I conceded to leave well enough alone
since it's a user preference...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi peter (and the rest of you :-))

Yeps, as stated in my original question, I know, I can read it from the
Registry, but was curious as to, if one could read it directly from VBA.

But, since everyone in here say, 'No', it can't be done, I've made my own
solution - which can even set Office Color Scheme (but, not sure that is a
good idea - never mess was the user's global system setting, as you all
know).

And reason for wanting to know the color scheme, is that I want to give the
Interior color of 'excess' cells within a spreadsheet, the same color as the
color scheme, when I hide unused rows and columns in the spreadsheet - if
not, the switch between unhidden and hidden cells looks aweful, when
designing, especially, reports!!!

But, as stated, I found a solution (an UDF), using my first initial idea...

Thanks everyone...

CE

#1 Yeah the new colours have raised a few eyebrows -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...in-office-2013

As for why, maybe it was chosen exhaustive research by the same team that
"designed" Win8

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Charlotte,

And reason for wanting to know the color scheme, is that I want to give
the Interior color of 'excess' cells within a spreadsheet, the same color
as the color scheme, when I hide unused rows and columns in the
spreadsheet - if not, the switch between unhidden and hidden cells looks
aweful, when designing, especially, reports!!!

Excellent, I've never thought about that! Do you make use of (customized)
color schemes or reformat cells with approriate RGBs

But, as stated, I found a solution (an UDF), using my first initial
idea...

I don't think you mentioned you had a UDF, how does that work?

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As I said: Reading the setting from the Registry.

Take a look he
http://www.EXCELGAARD.dk/Lib/Color%20Scheme/

CE

Hi Charlotte,