Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default best way protect unprotected cells

forget buttons.... don't even suggest them.

I have a list/table of names. The user selects a cell to update a chart display for that person. Works great... but

How can you protect the cell from the user inadvertently changing the value in that cell? If he can select it, he can nuke it. I don't want STEVE JOHNSON turning into STEVE JOHNSONX or ...

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Check if data validation fits in your bill.

On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 07:18:08 UTC+5:30, wrote:
forget buttons.... don't even suggest them. I have a list/table of names. The user selects a cell to update a chart display for that person. Works great... but How can you protect the cell from the user inadvertently changing the value in that cell? If he can select it, he can nuke it. I don't want STEVE JOHNSON turning into STEVE JOHNSONX or ... Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:48:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
forget buttons.... don't even suggest them.

I have a list/table of names. The user selects a cell to update a chart display for that person. Works great... but

How can you protect the cell from the user inadvertently changing the value in that cell? If he can select it, he can nuke it. I don't want STEVE JOHNSON turning into STEVE JOHNSONX or ...

Thank you.

If you have macros enabled when the workbook opens, you can create a worksheet change macro that checks the cell address and if the user is allowed to change, it permits. Otherwise it tells the user to do an undo.

Robert Flanagan
Add-ins.com LLC
Phone: 302-234-9857, fax 302-234-9859
http://www.add-ins.com