Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLookups and processing speed

I am going to buy a new computer. Much of what i currently have to wait for is for a vlookup to complete in Microsoft excel. Some lookups...when I am pulling from two tables of several hundred thousand rows....can take hours to complete. Do I need to get a computer with 3+ GHZ of processing power as the primary way to improve how long I have to wait for these lookups in excel.....or is more ram or something else needed? ? Thx for any suggestions.....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

replace this reference worksheet function with some vba code that will loop through a specified range and do the same as a vlookup without the "live" calculation of your spreadsheet... then no need of a new computer, I'm doing all I want using vba for Excel, Access, Outlook, Word, PowerPivot... with my single core laptop

Choosing a computer may be more related to your application needs e.g video/audio, office application, gaming
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm thinking, this section of my website should help you...
http://multiskillz.tekcities.com/k10...CpuBasics.html
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Den søndag den 18. november 2012 01.17.20 UTC+1 skrev :
I am going to buy a new computer. Much of what i currently have to wait for is for a vlookup to complete in Microsoft excel. Some lookups...when I am pulling from two tables of several hundred thousand rows....can take hours to complete. Do I need to get a computer with 3+ GHZ of processing power as the primary way to improve how long I have to wait for these lookups in excel.....or is more ram or something else needed? ? Thx for any suggestions....

Hi

Having this much data I'd strongly recommend putting them into a database instead and then use Excel as a frontend. SQL server Express can be freely downloaded, just be sure to download the Management Studio as well.

When I switched to SQl Server it was a whole new world of possibilities opening up :-)

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fred
Why don't you post a little more detail about what is going on in your spreadsheet. My laptop without a whole lot of memory will process 1 million vlookups in a second or so. Maybe there is some inefficiency built in that could be rectified making your current computer more adequate.
Ken

On Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:17:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am going to buy a new computer. Much of what i currently have to wait for is for a vlookup to complete in Microsoft excel. Some lookups...when I am pulling from two tables of several hundred thousand rows....can take hours to complete. Do I need to get a computer with 3+ GHZ of processing power as the primary way to improve how long I have to wait for these lookups in excel.....or is more ram or something else needed? ? Thx for any suggestions....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi fred.

there is no need to buy any new computer just use index and match formula to pull the data as it run much faster then Vlookup.

Regards
Prince