Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Why does adding columns slow down processing speed?

I have a workbook (using Excel 2002) that takes the data on the worksheet
"AllDealers" (960 rows x 112 cols) and spreads it to regional sheets (16 in
all). This process (on my machine usually takes about 4-6 minutes.

Then I added another 91 columns with historical data and now the same
calculation takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. What a difference?
Can anyone explain why?

If I were to put this historical data in another worksheet, how can I tie
the two sheet together?

Any help will be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Difficult to say without any formulas.
What does "spreads it to regional sheets " mean?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in message
|I have a workbook (using Excel 2002) that takes the data on the worksheet
| "AllDealers" (960 rows x 112 cols) and spreads it to regional sheets (16 in
| all). This process (on my machine usually takes about 4-6 minutes.
|
| Then I added another 91 columns with historical data and now the same
| calculation takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. What a difference?
| Can anyone explain why?
|
| If I were to put this historical data in another worksheet, how can I tie
| the two sheet together?
|
| Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Each row has information for an auto dealer such as current monthly volume,
outstandings, etc along with the region (territory) where the dealer does
business. Each month I update the info in each row and then have to allocate
(spread) that dealers information to a worksheet for that particular region,
so my managers can see only their volumne, outstandings, etc.

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Difficult to say without any formulas.
What does "spreads it to regional sheets " mean?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in message
|I have a workbook (using Excel 2002) that takes the data on the worksheet
| "AllDealers" (960 rows x 112 cols) and spreads it to regional sheets (16 in
| all). This process (on my machine usually takes about 4-6 minutes.
|
| Then I added another 91 columns with historical data and now the same
| calculation takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. What a difference?
| Can anyone explain why?
|
| If I were to put this historical data in another worksheet, how can I tie
| the two sheet together?
|
| Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No formulas?

"Allocate"?

Sorry, Cheer-Phil-ly, you speak in mysteries

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in message
| Each row has information for an auto dealer such as current monthly volume,
| outstandings, etc along with the region (territory) where the dealer does
| business. Each month I update the info in each row and then have to allocate
| (spread) that dealers information to a worksheet for that particular region,
| so my managers can see only their volumne, outstandings, etc.
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Difficult to say without any formulas.
| What does "spreads it to regional sheets " mean?
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in message
| |I have a workbook (using Excel 2002) that takes the data on the worksheet
| | "AllDealers" (960 rows x 112 cols) and spreads it to regional sheets (16 in
| | all). This process (on my machine usually takes about 4-6 minutes.
| |
| | Then I added another 91 columns with historical data and now the same
| | calculation takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. What a difference?
| | Can anyone explain why?
| |
| | If I were to put this historical data in another worksheet, how can I tie
| | the two sheet together?
| |
| | Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure what formulas you are referring to? I build (allocate) region
worksheets from the data on the Master worksheet using VBA.

When the master worksheet had 112 columns of data and I only copy the first
24 columns to the region sheets the process runs in 4-8 minutes. Then I
added another 91 columns of historical data to be used in calculating a risk
rating for the dealer, but I still only copy the first 24 columns the process
takes 94 minutes. Why?

"Niek Otten" wrote:

No formulas?

"Allocate"?

Sorry, Cheer-Phil-ly, you speak in mysteries

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in message
| Each row has information for an auto dealer such as current monthly volume,
| outstandings, etc along with the region (territory) where the dealer does
| business. Each month I update the info in each row and then have to allocate
| (spread) that dealers information to a worksheet for that particular region,
| so my managers can see only their volumne, outstandings, etc.
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Difficult to say without any formulas.
| What does "spreads it to regional sheets " mean?
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in message
| |I have a workbook (using Excel 2002) that takes the data on the worksheet
| | "AllDealers" (960 rows x 112 cols) and spreads it to regional sheets (16 in
| | all). This process (on my machine usually takes about 4-6 minutes.
| |
| | Then I added another 91 columns with historical data and now the same
| | calculation takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. What a difference?
| | Can anyone explain why?
| |
| | If I were to put this historical data in another worksheet, how can I tie
| | the two sheet together?
| |
| | Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Maybe if you use

Application.EnableEvents = False
..
.. (your code for doing your copying etc.)
..

Application.EnableEvents = True

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Niek Otten" wrote:

No formulas?

"Allocate"?

Sorry, Cheer-Phil-ly, you speak in mysteries

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in
message
| Each row has information for an auto dealer such as current monthly
volume,
| outstandings, etc along with the region (territory) where the
dealer does
| business. Each month I update the info in each row and then have
to allocate
| (spread) that dealers information to a worksheet for that
particular region,
| so my managers can see only their volumne, outstandings, etc.
|

| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Difficult to say without any formulas.
| What does "spreads it to regional sheets " mean?
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Cheer-Phil-ly" wrote in
message
| |I have a workbook (using Excel 2002) that takes the data on the
worksheet
| | "AllDealers" (960 rows x 112 cols) and spreads it to regional
sheets (16 in
| | all). This process (on my machine usually takes about 4-6
minutes.
| |
| | Then I added another 91 columns with historical data and now
the same
| | calculation takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. What a
difference?
| | Can anyone explain why?
| |
| | If I were to put this historical data in another worksheet, how
can I tie
| | the two sheet together?
| |