Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Detect outgoing (POP3) server

I need to be able to detect a computer's POP3 server and assign it to
a cell upon startup. Is this possible? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Michael Lanier wrote:

I need to be able to detect a computer's POP3 server and assign it to
a cell upon startup. Is this possible? Thanks.

Define "computer's POP3 server". (Every email-capable program in the universe
stores its settings different from every other program.)

--
I bet your father spent the first year of your life
throwing rocks at the stork.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I thought my question was clear. As it turns out, I'm really looking for the outgoing mail and not the incoming POP3 as I initially stated. My own address is smtp.charter.net so I would want the cell to reflect "smtp.charter.net". But if someone else opens my file on a different computer with a different outgoing address, I need the file to post their address. Again, is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
As it turns out, I'm really looking for the outgoing mail
and not the incoming POP3 as I initially stated. My own
address is smtp.charter.net so I would want the cell to
reflect "smtp.charter.net". But if someone else opens my
file on a different computer with a different outgoing
address, I need the file to post their address. Again,
is this possible?

Probably. I Googled "excel smtp server" without quotes and got a number of
hits. Most are not useful insofar they require that you provide the SMTP
server name, which of is the opposite of what you want, of course.

I did find this thread: http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=391054.
It seems to be directly "on point". But I did not see a usable conclusion.

The points a

1. You might find what you need by reviewing Google hits in more detail that
I have time to do.

2. You might get a more-informed response by posting at excelbanter.com.

The question I would ask is: why do you need this?

I wonder if the real problem you want to solve does not need the SMTP server
at all. You are merely over-thinking the problem. Specifically, if the
"real" problem is that you want to be able to send to a configured SMTP
server, one of the Google hits might help you with that. (But I did not
study them in enough detail to say "yes" with impunity.)

But it is a rhetorical question. I suspect I cannot help you, even though I
fully understand the question and the issues.

Good luck!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

joeu2004,

Thank you for your help. I will research your information. The reason
I need the SMTP is to send a CDO via email. Thanks again.

Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Michael Lanier" wrote:
The reason I need the SMTP is to send a CDO via email.

As I suspected. Then it is not necessary to put the SMTP server name in a
cell, is it?

I am not familiar with using CDO to send email using VBA. But be sure to
study the examples in the following webpage:

http://www.paulsadowski.com/wsh/cdo.htm

Off-hand, it appears that you might not need to to know the SMTP server
name. However, it is unclear to me how Excel knows what SMTP server to use
otherwise. Perhaps Paul's code is relying on the Outgoing Email server to
be confirgured for IE, Outlook and/or Outlook Express or the Win7
equivalent.

Also see http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm, although it seems less complete.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks joeu2004. This looks very helpful and is much appreciated.

Michael
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 20/08/2012 00:25, joeu2004 wrote:

2. You might get a more-informed response by posting at excelbanter.com.

Wow. Intelligent response :-(

You do realise where excelbanter is stealing content from?

--
Adrian C