Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default formula or macro in excel, to open another excel sheet?

Is there a fomula or a macro or something, within excel, that will allow it to open up and print another excel file?

What Im saying is, for example:
I am making sprockets. I print out an order sheet for 100 sprockets. I have a spreadsheet open stating 100 sprockets. Each time 1 sprocket is no good, I am going to make a notation on that spreadsheet (with a -1). Once that # gets BELOW 95, I want it to print out a work order. I already have a file called "sprockets.xls"...so basically what I want it to do, is open and print out that file "sprockets.xls" when it gets below that 95. On the same workorder I might have 100 flanges, when it gets below 95, I want it to open up a file called "flanges.xls" Is there any way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way is to use the Hyperlink function.
Create a hyperlink for each part in the sprocket assembly.
Clicking on the hyperlink opens the file.

From the Excel help file for the Hyperlink function...
"... opens the file 1stQtr.xls in Microsoft Excel...that is stored in a directory named Finance on
drive D, and displays the numeric value stored in cell H10:
= HYPERLINK("D:\FINANCE\1stQtr.xls", H10)

--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

wrote in message
Is there a fomula or a macro or something, within excel, that will allow it to open up and print
another excel file?

What Im saying is, for example:
I am making sprockets. I print out an order sheet for 100 sprockets. I have a spreadsheet open
stating 100 sprockets. Each time 1 sprocket is no good, I am going to make a notation on that
spreadsheet (with a -1). Once that # gets BELOW 95, I want it to print out a work order. I already
have a file called "sprockets.xls"...so basically what I want it to do, is open and print out that
file "sprockets.xls" when it gets below that 95. On the same workorder I might have 100 flanges,
when it gets below 95, I want it to open up a file called "flanges.xls" Is there any way to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, but it would require more hand-holding than I am willing to provide.
You might consider using Excel's built-in Conditional Formatting to highlight items needing
attention.
'---
Jim Cone

wrote in message
thank you for your reply. my question would then be,

can something be written to make it click the hyperlink,
or run that huperlink formula, based on an outcome?
meaning, if cell a1<1, run that hyperlink?

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 12:07:42 PM UTC-4, Jim Cone wrote:
One way is to use the Hyperlink function.
Create a hyperlink for each part in the sprocket assembly.
Clicking on the hyperlink opens the file.

From the Excel help file for the Hyperlink function...

wrote in message
Is there a fomula or a macro or something, within excel, that will allow it to open up and print
another excel file?

What Im saying is, for example:
I am making sprockets. I print out an order sheet for 100 sprockets. I have a spreadsheet open
stating 100 sprockets. Each time 1 sprocket is no good, I am going to make a notation on that
spreadsheet (with a -1). Once that # gets BELOW 95, I want it to print out a work order. I
already
have a file called "sprockets.xls"...so basically what I want it to do, is open and print out
that
file "sprockets.xls" when it gets below that 95. On the same workorder I might have 100 flanges,
when it gets below 95, I want it to open up a file called "flanges.xls" Is there any way to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

would you be willing to get paid to hold my hand?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can send a copy of the workbook with a complete description and examples of what you need.

Remove any confidential information from the copy !
Include...
the Excel versions it will be used on
the operating systems it will be used on
if you intend to distribute the workbook to others
any special security requirements
if the workbook will be Shared (a specific Excel term)
any special company or personal requirements

Please be very specific and to what is required/needed.
Also, please identify yourself and your company.

I will take a look and provide an estimate to you of what it might cost.
Send the above to XX (remove the XXX parts)

'----
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(free and commercial excel programs)

wrote in message
would you be willing to get paid to hold my hand?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anyone? Please help. Basically, what I would want is a formula that did something like this

if A2 <= B2 then it would print c:\sheets\file1.xls, otherwise it would do nothing
if C2 <= D2,then it would print c:\sheets\file2.xls, otherwise it would do nothing
and so on and so on down the line
Once I got one of the formulas, I assume that I could duplicate them for the row information and printed file information

Thats really it. Is there a way to do that?