Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default display list based on validation

Hello guys,

I have a BIG list of part number and serial numbers, in the
thousands.

In one sheet a have a dropdown box that has all the part numbers. what
I would like to do is, have the sheet display all the serials of the
part number I choose from the dropdown box.

So if goe example I choose part number c123, in some point of the
sheet all the serials corresponding to c123 will show up.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Suppose the part numbers are in column A of Sheet1, starting on row 2.
Then in a helper column (eg D2) you can put this formula:

=IF(A2="","-",A2&"_"&COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2))

and copy it down as far as you like, even beyond your 4000 rows of
data. This will give you a unique sequential number for each serial
number, linked to each part number, like this:

c123_1
c123_2
d123_1
c123_3

and so on. You will get a hyphen where column A is blank, so this
helps to show where you have copied the formula to.

Then on a separate sheet, suppose you use A1 to select the part
number. In B1 you can have this formula:

=IF($A$1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH($A$1&"_"&ROW(A1),Shee t1!D:D,
0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!B:B,MATCH($A$1&"_"&ROW(A1),She et1!D:D,0))))

Then you can copy this down as far as you need to - you will just get
blanks if you copy it too far.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 17, 6:03*pm, LUIS ANGEL wrote:
Hello guys,

I have a BIG *list of part number and serial numbers, in the
thousands.

In one sheet a have a dropdown box that has all the part numbers. what
I would like to do is, have the sheet display all the serials of the
part number I choose from the dropdown box.

So if goe example *I choose part number c123, in some point of the
sheet all the serials corresponding to c123 will show up.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See Debra's site for dependent DV lists

Gord

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:03:09 -0700 (PDT), LUIS ANGEL
wrote:

Hello guys,

I have a BIG list of part number and serial numbers, in the
thousands.

In one sheet a have a dropdown box that has all the part numbers. what
I would like to do is, have the sheet display all the serials of the
part number I choose from the dropdown box.

So if goe example I choose part number c123, in some point of the
sheet all the serials corresponding to c123 will show up.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Guys

On Oct 17, 2:31*pm, Pete_UK wrote:
[...]