Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel vs .csv?

Hi everyone,

1) Why ' on the LHS of a number is used in Excel table? What does it
do?

'3
'23
'34
'CW
..
..

2) What do you do if that table is saved as .csv file then?

I am using an Algebraic modeler that would take #1 but complains about
#2!

Thanks,
Mike

#2!

Thanks,
Mike

The apostrophe converts numeric to text. A CSV file is a TEXT file and
so Excel should handle the apostrophe approriately.

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS made a typo:
The apostrophe converts numeric to text. A CSV file is a TEXT file and so

Excel should handle the apostrophe appropriately.

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sep 26, 1:40*pm, GS wrote:
GS made a typo: The apostrophe converts numeric to text. A CSV file is a TEXT file and so

* Excel should handle the apostrophe appropriately.

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

Garry,

But I need the table to stay in csv, but the Algebraic modeler
complains about record CW above of that table!?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike formulated the question :
On Sep 26, 1:40*pm, GS wrote:
GS made a typo: The apostrophe converts numeric to text. A CSV file is a
TEXT file and so

* Excel should handle the apostrophe appropriately.

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

Garry,

But I need the table to stay in csv, but the Algebraic modeler
complains about record CW above of that table!?

Record CW is not numeric text and so any mathematical equation would
have a problem with it if it's not a variable that contains a value. I
doubt the problem lies with the apostrophe; -more like your Algebraic
modeler doesn't have a way to handle non-numeric text. (IOW, no data
validation methodology)

Is the Algebraic modeler a program OR an Excel macro?

Is your data in an 'Excel Table'? OR Are you just calling the 'block'
of data in the worksheet a table?

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sep 26, 1:40*pm, GS wrote:
[...]

ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc- Hide quoted text -

The algebraic modeler is MPL of Maximal Software. When I had the table
in Excel, you can go around the problem by adding a LHS ' to every
element whether it is number or text. Now, when I saved the Excel file
as a csv it no longer accepts an index that has some elements as
numbers while others are text (like CW)?!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike pretended :
The algebraic modeler is MPL of Maximal Software. When I had the table
in Excel, you can go around the problem by adding a LHS ' to every
element whether it is number or text. Now, when I saved the Excel file
as a csv it no longer accepts an index that has some elements as
numbers while others are text (like CW)?!

Mike,
So what you're saying is that 'Excel' removes the apostrophes when
saving as CSV so that when reopening the file later the data no longer
has apostophes on the LHS?

Perhaps you need a custom import procedure that ensures the apostrophes
are placed if missing? If so.., read the entire CSV into an array and
place apostrophes where needed. If MPL reads from Excel then dump the
array into a worksheet.

-OR-
If MPL reads in from the CSV directly then dump the array back into the
CSV.

--
Garry