Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mike Mike is offline

Default Excel vs .csv?

On Sep 26, 6:25*pm, GS wrote:
Mike formulated the question :

On Sep 26, 1:40*pm, GS wrote:
GS made a typo: The apostrophe converts numeric to text. A CSV file is a
TEXT file and so

* Excel should handle the apostrophe appropriately.

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

Garry,

But I need the table to stay in csv, but the Algebraic modeler
complains about record CW above of that table!?

Record CW is not numeric text and so any mathematical equation would
have a problem with it if it's not a variable that contains a value. I
doubt the problem lies with the apostrophe; -more like your Algebraic
modeler doesn't have a way to handle non-numeric text. (IOW, no data
validation methodology)

Is the Algebraic modeler a program OR an Excel macro?

Is your data in an 'Excel Table'? OR Are you just calling the 'block'
of data in the worksheet a table?

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc- Hide quoted text -

The algebraic modeler is MPL of Maximal Software. When I had the table
in Excel, you can go around the problem by adding a LHS ' to every
element whether it is number or text. Now, when I saved the Excel file
as a csv it no longer accepts an index that has some elements as
numbers while others are text (like CW)?!