Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default In Excel 2007 where is the Personal workbook saved?

In order to copy macros from previous vesions of Excel and for
purposes of backing up the file, I need to know where the Personal
workbook is stored. I've been unable to find it using regulare search
methods.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From the xl2007 help file...

"If you want a macro to be available whenever you use Excel, select Personal Macro Workbook.
When you select Personal Macro Workbook, Excel creates a hidden personal macro workbook
(Personal.xlsb) if it does not already exist, and saves the macro in this workbook.
In Windows Vista, this workbook is saved in the
C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder.
In Microsoft Windows XP, this workbook is saved in the
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLStart folder.
Workbooks in the XLStart folder are opened automatically whenever Excel starts."
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..
..
..

"Musawwir Spiegel"
wrote in message
In order to copy macros from previous vesions of Excel and for
purposes of backing up the file, I need to know where the Personal
workbook is stored. I've been unable to find it using regulare search
methods.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Jim and anybody else who reads this posting,

I shoud have made my question more explicit, since I didn't mention
the operating sysem I am using.

I am using Windows 7, and running Excel 20007. At the time I posted
my message I was unable to locate the personal macro workbook. The
books and articles I consulted all gave the same points as your post
-- the locations for the file in Windows XP and Windows Vista. Those
locations did not work for Windows 7.

I ultimately tracked down the file in Excel by going to Excel
Options/Trust Center/ Trust Center Settings/Trusted Locations. That
turned out to be C:\Users\[my user name]
l\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PERSONAL .XLSB

I attempted to open that file in Excel but was unable to do so. That's
just as well since my only purpose of tracking down the personal macro
workbook was to have a way of doing regular backups on it.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I should have
included the identity of my operating system. I hope this information
will be useful for others who are running Excel 2007 in Windows 7.

Musawwir

From the xl2007 help file...