Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Why is file suddenly "Read Only"?

I cannot save my workbook because the file status
is suddenly showing as "Read Only". Are there any
settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
to become "Read Only"??? I login to my personal
account every day, after which I shut down all
applications and log out. Therefore, I'm somewhat
positive that I'm not logged in twice.

If it is possible that another user, such as the network
administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
way to see who currently has the file open?? Any
clues as to what is going on here?

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jun 29, 12:29*pm, "Robert Crandal" wrote:
I cannot save my workbook because the file status
is suddenly showing as "Read Only". * Are there any
settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
to become "Read Only"??? *I login to my personal
account every day, after which I shut down all
applications and log out. *Therefore, I'm somewhat
positive that I'm not logged in twice.

If it is possible that another user, such as the network
administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
way to see who currently has the file open?? *Any
clues as to what is going on here?

Thank you!

Robert, I occasionally see this intermittent error in WORD but never,
yet, in EXCEL.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you get a message that the workbook is already opened by yourself and is
read-only?

When you open a workbook in Excel a temporary copy is created.

Closing the workbook should also close the temp file.

Sometimes this does not happen and the temp file remains behind.

A reboot generally clears the temp file.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP