Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Disable Save

Hi,

I am looking for some help with a macro, I need to disable anyone from
saving a file or save as and also disable the prompt if the close button is
pressed you get an option to save the file then, I need to disable all of
these, also have a pop up box to warn that save as been disables when a user
tries to save the file fro save and save as.

Can anyone help mw with this.

Regards

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's really no good way to stop the user from saving the file. If the user
disables macros, then no macro will stop them from saving.

And they could even use windows explorer to copy the file to a new location.

But if the user allows macros to run, you can tie into some workbook events.

This kind of code would go into the ThisWorkbook module:

Option Explicit
Me.Saved = True 'a white lie!
Cancel = True
MsgBox "You can't save this file!"
End Sub
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
MsgBox "You can't save this file!"
End Sub

=======
If you don't want them to overwrite your original file, then you may want to ask
your IT folks to create a common network share that only you (and a few trusted
co-workers) have read/write access to.

Everyone else would have read-only access.

=======

And after you make changes, you'll want to save them.

So open the VBE
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
type:
application.enableevents = false
and hit enter.

Then back to excel to save your workbook with your changes.

Then back to the VBE's immediate window and type:
application.enableevents = true
and hit enter

Be aware that this procedure can be done by anyone -- not just you.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply, this is a word document, how will i edit this code
for word and where to input the code?

Regards

Mark

terilad wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for some help with a macro, I need to disable anyone from
saving a file or save as and also disable the prompt if the close button is
pressed you get an option to save the file then, I need to disable all of
these, also have a pop up box to warn that save as been disables when a user
tries to save the file fro save and save as.

Can anyone help mw with this.

Regards

Mark

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know.

You should ask in one of the forums dedicated to MSWord.

Remember to tell them what version of MSWord you're using.