Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open Save & Close Macro

I have a workbook (Using Excel 2007 but file is saved in 2003 format) that a
bunch of other workbooks are linked to. Since this file is also linked to
other files, I need to make sure this one is up to date every morning. So
right now I open it, save it and close it each day. What is the easiest way
to automate this process? Is there a way to write the VBA and then save it in
a form that can be executed from XP's "Scheduled Tasks?" Or, do I need to
make a .bat file (and if so, what is the correct syntax).

I know it only takes me a few minutes to do this manually (takes a while for
all of the links to update), but every little bit of extra time is useful.
Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like you've got things working pretty smoothly already, but maybe this
will make things just a bit better for you:
http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm

Also:

Finally:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66049

--
Ryan---

"Domenick" wrote:

I have a workbook (Using Excel 2007 but file is saved in 2003 format) that a
bunch of other workbooks are linked to. Since this file is also linked to
other files, I need to make sure this one is up to date every morning. So
right now I open it, save it and close it each day. What is the easiest way
to automate this process? Is there a way to write the VBA and then save it in
a form that can be executed from XP's "Scheduled Tasks?" Or, do I need to
make a .bat file (and if so, what is the correct syntax).

I know it only takes me a few minutes to do this manually (takes a while for
all of the links to update), but every little bit of extra time is useful.
Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, I read through the links you provided, but I want to make sure I
understand. Here is a simplified example of what I'm trying to do:

-FileA contains links to FileB.
-FileB contains links to FileC.
-I only work with FileA but I need to have all of the latest data from files
B & C.
-Currently, if I open FileA, it only updates from FileB with the information
from the last time FileB was opened.
-I am trying to force a chain reaction so that when I open FileA, FileB
first gets updates from its links to FileC and then passes this along to
FileA.

Does that make any more sense? It does not seem like Excel will perform this
multiple level of updating links on its own, so I was thinking that I could
just schedule something to open, save and close FileB each morning so that
FileA will always have the latest info (from Files B & C) each time I open
it. Am I going about this wrong?

If this IS the only way to do this, are you saying that I can just launch a
..vbs file from Scheduler? I don't need to specify any .exe files?

Thanks for your help.

"Domenick" wrote:

I have a workbook (Using Excel 2007 but file is saved in 2003 format) that a
bunch of other workbooks are linked to. Since this file is also linked to
other files, I need to make sure this one is up to date every morning. So
right now I open it, save it and close it each day. What is the easiest way
to automate this process? Is there a way to write the VBA and then save it in
a form that can be executed from XP's "Scheduled Tasks?" Or, do I need to
make a .bat file (and if so, what is the correct syntax).

I know it only takes me a few minutes to do this manually (takes a while for
all of the links to update), but every little bit of extra time is useful.
Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I haven't worked with that routine in a long time and I forgot exactly how it
works. just follow the instructions. Try it for yourself, with a short time
increment, and see what happens. ;-)

--
Ryan---