Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default AdvancedFilter syntax

Currently, I am using:

Sheet3.Range("A1:A10000").AdvancedFilter _
Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
CopyToRange:=Sheet2.Range("A1"), _
Unique:=True

This generates a list of the unique values from my source list. While I can
get to my real end result through several additional steps, I suspect that
I'm underutilizing AdvancedFilter, and am hoping for a few pointers on how to
get it to return some more specific information.

Specifically,
(1) I do have a criteria that I'd like to use without placing it in a cell
range (Select unique values from A1:A10000 where the corresponding value in
Column K is '4'). It appears that I can put the value 4 in a cell and
reference it, but can I just use a variable which is =4? If so, what is the
appropriate syntax?
e.g.,
CriteriaRange:= (Sheet1.range(K:K).value = 4)

(2) Ultimately, what I really want is a count of the unique values that meet
my criteria, so can I use a Count against the returned range, without sending
it to a physical page location? Perhaps I can make a named range that
references an array instead of a range, and use that to generate a count in a
second step?

Initially I was using formulas to get my unique counts, but using a
sumproduct formula (actually, several dozen of them) against an array this
large was just taking too long, and initial tests with AdvancedFilter
indicated it would be much faster.

I appreciate any syntax hints with the AdvancedFilter, or even confirmation
on whether or not what I'm attempting is even possible with AdvancedFilter.

My backup option is to just loop the page and sort the data into a 2D array
(while keeping track of whether each value is unique), but AdvancedFilter
seemed like a more direct option (no loops, etc)

Thank you,
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Keith,

I can't specifically answer your question and I will monitor the thread for
answers. However, the following could be used as a work around if you don't
get a better answer. It involves using a temporary worksheet for data but the
temp sheet can be added as required and then deleted.

Basically it is using AutoFilter for your column K value, Copy the visible
data to a temp location then AdvancedFilter for the unique list. Tested in xl
2002 and xl2007.

Sub Test()

With Sheet3
If .AutoFilterMode = False Then
.Range("A1").AutoFilter
Else
If .FilterMode Then
.ShowAllData
'Field 11 is column K
.AutoFilter.Range.AutoFilter _
Field:=11, Criteria1:="4"
End With

Sheets("Temp").Columns(1).Clear 'Any previous data

'Copy visible data to Temp sheet
Sheet3.AutoFilter.Range.Columns(1) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy _
Destination:=Sheets("Temp").Range("A1")

Sheet2.Columns(1).ClearContents 'Any previous data

'copy unique data to Sheet2
Sheets("Temp").Columns(1).AdvancedFilter _
Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
CopyToRange:=Sheet2.Range("A1"), _
Unique:=True

'Turn off Autofilter
Sheet3.AutoFilterMode = False

OssieMac

"ker_01" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you'll have to use a real range for that criteria.

And I'm not sure that this is quicker than reading the range into an array and
looping through that -- but it was pretty darn fast even with 10000 rows.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim TempWks As Worksheet
Dim CritWks As Worksheet
Dim wks As Worksheet
Dim myRng As Range
Dim LastRow As Long
Dim LastCol As Long
Dim HowMany As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set wks = Worksheets("Sheet1")
Set CritWks = Worksheets.Add
Set TempWks = Worksheets.Add

With wks
LastCol = .Cells(1, .Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
Set myRng = .Range("A1", .Cells(LastRow, LastCol))

'copy the headers
.Rows(1).Copy _
Destination:=CritWks.Range("a1")
End With

'put the value you want in K2 of the criteria worksheet
CritWks.Range("K2").Value = 4

'copy the 4's to the new sheet
myRng.AdvancedFilter _
Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
CriteriaRange:=CritWks.UsedRange, _
CopyToRange:=TempWks.Range("A1"), _
Unique:=False

'just uniques in column A
With TempWks
.Range("A:A").AdvancedFilter _
Action:=xlFilterInPlace, _
CriteriaRange:="", _
CopyToRange:="", _
Unique:=True
End With

With TempWks
'avoid the header in row 1
HowMany = .Range("A1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)) _
.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Cells.Count - 1
End With

With Application
.DisplayAlerts = False
CritWks.Delete
TempWks.Delete
.DisplayAlerts = True

.ScreenUpdating = True
End With

MsgBox HowMany

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson

Question about AdvancedFilter Paul B[_9_] Excel Programming 2 May 4th 09 01:07 AM
AdvancedFilter dannibrook Excel Programming 4 April 25th 06 11:19 AM
Advancedfilter ram Excel Programming 1 December 30th 05 02:18 AM
AdvancedFilter with VBA newToExcel Excel Programming 2 September 30th 05 05:20 PM
AdvancedFilter in VB loopy[_6_] Excel Programming 1 June 22nd 05 03:24 PM