Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Selecting a point on a chart in Excel 2007 on Windows 7

Kirill -

Excel charting through 2003 was pretty reliable and the related
interfaces were effective. Excel 2007 changed all that, unfortunately
not for the better.

I've experienced this problem when the chart had a lot of points close
together. It's like the points have a larger envelope than just the
visible marker, and one point's envelope may obscure the next point.

I don't know how to avoid this problem.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

On 4/15/2010 11:33 AM, Kirill wrote:
Hi,

This may seem like a repost, but I believe that the first post was not
recognized as from MSDN Subscriber. If this message lacks any significant
details, I'll gladly provide them in a reply.

I have a macro that operates on a point, selected on a chart. It works fine
in Excel 2003 on Windows XP, Windows 7, and in Excel 2007 on Windows XP.
However, I can't seem to select a point by clicking on it in Office 2007 on
Windows 7.

Sometimes when I select the chart *some* point gets selected, but I can't
change that selection either by clicking on another point or by using the
keyboard (both ways work fine in Excel 2003).

Is there a way to *reliably* select a point on a chart in Excel 2007?

Thank you!

--
Kirill.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Jon,

Jon Peltier wrote
Excel charting through 2003 was pretty reliable and the related interfaces
were effective. Excel 2007 changed all that, unfortunately not for the
better.

In oppose to Ji Zhou's response, this is real bad news :(

I've experienced this problem when the chart had a lot of points close
together. It's like the points have a larger envelope than just the
visible marker, and one point's envelope may obscure the next point.

I thought about it and tested the theory, but even very distant points could
not be selected *reliably*. I still need to follow up on Ji Zhou's
suggestion:

Ji Zhou And if I click a point, first all points in that series
Ji Zhou are selected. If I click that point
Ji Zhou again, then only that specified point is selected.

Thanks for your input!

--
Kirill.

On 4/15/2010 11:33 AM, Kirill wrote:
I have a macro that operates on a point, selected on a chart. It works
fine
in Excel 2003 on Windows XP, Windows 7, and in Excel 2007 on Windows XP.
However, I can't seem to select a point by clicking on it in Office 2007
on
Windows 7.

Sometimes when I select the chart *some* point gets selected, but I can't
change that selection either by clicking on another point or by using the
keyboard (both ways work fine in Excel 2003).

Is there a way to *reliably* select a point on a chart in Excel 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I thought about it and tested the theory, but even very distant
points could not be selected *reliably*.

If you miss the point and the click is registered on the connecting
line, it might be treated as a click on the other point.

I still need to follow up on Ji Zhou's suggestion:

Ji Zhou And if I click a point, first all points in that series
Ji Zhou are selected. If I click that point
Ji Zhou again, then only that specified point is selected.

A mouse over event doesn't need this two click process, it should simply
respond to the point under the cursor. This is problematic in 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.