Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with Subtotal Function

I have a small database consisting of dates and sales amounts. I would like
to subtotal the sales amounts for each month. However, no matter what I do,
Excel subtotals for each day. Is it possible to break this down by month? I
would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure what you're using to subtotal, but if it's dates, then maybe you
can add a helper column to your data:

=text(a2,"yyyy-mm")
and drag down
(assumes that a real date is in A2)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Previously I was using a helper column, but that seemed awkward. I believe I
have found the solution: I changed the date format to "March-10" which I
found in Format Cells\Number\date and now subtotal works.

I am considering breaking it down by Year, then by Month within Year using
nested subtotals. For this I might need helper columns? Well, maybe I will
leave it as is.

Thanks for replying so quickly, Dave.

David Portwood wrote:

I have a small database consisting of dates and sales amounts. I would
like
to subtotal the sales amounts for each month. However, no matter what I
do,
Excel subtotals for each day. Is it possible to break this down by month?
would appreciate any help. Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You may want to spend some time learning about pivottables. You'll be able to
group dates by month (and year) or by year.

If you've never used pivottables, here are a few links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx