Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Passwords - security

G'day

I'm asking this question as a serious Excel/VBA developer rather than as a
potential mischief-maker (thought I'd better make that clear).

I know that it is possible for someone to crack an Excel Protection password
with 3rd party software, but how about the password that you use to hide the
VBA editor? Can that be cracked?

Don't tell me how, just tell me how to avoid it if it can be avoided.

Thanks doods
--
Time is just the thing that keeps everything from happening all at once
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can't hide the VBA Editor, but you can password protect the project
which if effect hides you code and prevents modification.

In the VBA Editor, in the project pane, right click on any of the sheets or
workbook in your project, select VBAProject Properties.... then on the
Protection Tab, check "Lock project for viewing" and add a password.
Save the Excel File.

Hope this helps

"Neptune Dinosaur" wrote in message
G'day

I'm asking this question as a serious Excel/VBA developer rather than as a
potential mischief-maker (thought I'd better make that clear).

I know that it is possible for someone to crack an Excel Protection
password
with 3rd party software, but how about the password that you use to hide
the
VBA editor? Can that be cracked?

Don't tell me how, just tell me how to avoid it if it can be avoided.

Thanks doods
--
Time is just the thing that keeps everything from happening all at once

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

File open passwords and the underlying encryption are pretty good in
later versions of Excel.
The rest is more a usability feature than security.
Accessing hidden/protected VBA code is completely trivial in many tools
and applications.
Excel and VBA are not designed to be secure, if you really need that
consider other technologies.

Cheers
Simon
Excel development website: www.codematic.net