Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can a checkbox be created with a logic function?

I currently have a SS that utilizes a column of checkboxes. I also have a
macro that filters for checkboxes that are TRUE, thus hiding the rows with
unchecked boxes. The two things I don't like with this configuration are that
the checkboxes are too small, and when I filter, many of the unchecked
checkboxes superimpose themselves on what becomes visible on the SS.

So my question is: can a logic function be written so that if an open cell
is selected, it is automatically populated with a text checkmark? And
secondly, if a cell with that checkmark is selected again, the checkmark is
removed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure which Excel version you're using, but when I try adding
checkboxes to a spreadsheet with Excel 2000, the workbook starts to
crash unexpectedly to more objects I add.

Your situation sounds like a job for a userform.

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Update: sorry I'm using 2003. I've never done any logic statements but I was
hoping it would be easy and look something like this (I know these are not
the right symbols): (IF A1,("") then (ü) IF A1,(ü) then (""))

Maybe I'm just being stupid :)

"dan dungan" wrote:

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure which Excel version you're using, but when I try adding
checkboxes to a spreadsheet with Excel 2000, the workbook starts to
crash unexpectedly to more objects I add.

Your situation sounds like a job for a userform.

Dan
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

You could use the check box from the character map.

I found the characters in the Wingdings font.

I needed to change the font for the column containing the formula. So
you could do this with conditional formatting.

0x52 = R*
,0x2A=R

=IF(F22="",R,0x2A)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I accidentally sent the previous message before I was finished.

What I meant was:

In excel 2000 on my computer, the wingdings 2 font has Character code
0x52 which shows R until you change the font to wingdings2. Then you
see the check mark in a box.

Character code 0x2A shows R* which is an empty box.

So if you are evaluating A1 the formula,
=IF(A1="",R*,R)

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dan. I've never done a logical function before, but I couldn't get
that to work for me. It looks as if your fomula could create a checkmark in a
cell other than the one that was clicked on? Or maybe I just missed something.

"dan dungan" wrote:

I accidentally sent the previous message before I was finished.

What I meant was:

In excel 2000 on my computer, the wingdings 2 font has Character code
0x52 which shows R until you change the font to wingdings2. Then you
see the check mark in a box.

Character code 0x2A shows R* which is an empty box.

So if you are evaluating A1 the formula,
=IF(A1="",R*,R)

Dan
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

I'm not clear what you want to accomplish. Do you need to click on the
check box?

Did you put the formula in a cell on your worksheet? I put the formula
in B1

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm trying to get a cell to display a checkmark when I select that cell. I
don't want to have to do anything more than select the cell.

If there's already a checkmark in the cell, I'd like it to be removed
automatically by merely selecting that cell.

I think I'm asking for too much though :(

"dan dungan" wrote:

Hi Steve,

I'm not clear what you want to accomplish. Do you need to click on the
check box?

Did you put the formula in a cell on your worksheet? I put the formula
in B1

Dan
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I misunderstood your request. I'm not sure how to do that.

I'm wondering though. . .Is something going to happen to the data
based on the check mark?

Is the check mark structural or cosmetic?

Are you using it to filter the data?