Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro can not unprotect a sheet in a shared workbook

I have a spreadsheet that is shared by our work group. It has a macro that
reads cells on the DataEntry tab and writes to LogSheet tab. The LogSheet
tab is protected with a password, so the macro unprotects, writes, then
reprotects. This works just fine but when the workbook is shared the macro
can not unprotect the sheet. Does anyone know why a macro can not unprotect
a sheet in a shared workbook? I think this is Excel 2003 in Windows XP, but
some of the stations might be Excel 97 on Win 2000, which might be the root
of this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Changing sheet protection is one of the many features that is not available in
shared workbooks.

Check excel's (not VBA's) help for a larger list.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The knowlegebase article 263564 says if a shared workbook is protected but
does not have a password, the workbook remains shared after you remove the
protection.
That's how mine should work but I didn't get a chance to check it out today,
maybe Monday.

Mike

Mike H wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is shared by our work group. It has a macro that
reads cells on the DataEntry tab and writes to LogSheet tab. The LogSheet
tab is protected with a password, so the macro unprotects, writes, then
reprotects. This works just fine but when the workbook is shared the macro
can not unprotect the sheet. Does anyone know why a macro can not unprotect
a sheet in a shared workbook? I think this is Excel 2003 in Windows XP, but
some of the stations might be Excel 97 on Win 2000, which might be the root
of this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike

You are confusing workbook protection with worksheet protection.

Not the same thing.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP