Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File grows

Good morning. I have a spreadsheet which I use for today, then "Save As" for
tomorrow, clear out all of the data that is not relevant, change the file
name, and start over tomorrow. However, every time I do this, the file grows
by 3 or 4 KB. After a couple of weeks, the file starts running slow, and I
have to start over. The file should stay about the same size, but it
doesn't.

Any suggestions on what to check to see why this is happening?
Thanks for any help.
--
Howard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Even though you are clearing unneeded data out of cells, Excel may still be
retaining information about them (formatting, etc.) Excel also maintains a
record of the last used cell on each sheet. Press Ctrl-End to see what Excel
thinks is the last used cell on your worksheet. If it is not the same as the
current actual last used cell, you need to reset the last used cell. You can
delete the extra rows & columns Excel thinks you are using, then
save/close/re-open the workbook.

Debra Dalgleish's site has a couple of techniques of resetting that last
used cell.
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Hope this helps,

Hutch