Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sorting Data

I got data in column A and B like see below. As you can see below I
got file paths listed in both columns.

A B……col
C:\David Terry C:\Dean Smith (MC) - 23
C:\John Owen C:\Michael Ja - 778
C:\Michael Ja C:\Daivd Terry (ds)
C:\Ali Smith C:\John Owen - x23
C:\Karen Seal - (CC)

I need macro which should sort column B list according to column A
list and results should look like as shown below

A B……col
C:\David Terry C:\David Terry (ds)
C:\John Owen C:\John Owen - x23
C:\Michael Ja C:\Michael Ja - 778
C:\Ali Smith
C:\Dean Smith (MC) - 23
C:\Karen Seal - (CC)

Basically I want it to be sorted so same names in file paths should be
in same row
Please can any friend can help me on this

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in column C use the match function look up B in A

=MATCH(B1:A:A,False)
then sort B:C based off C

"K" wrote:

I got data in column A and B like see below. As you can see below I
got file paths listed in both columns.

A B€¦€¦col
C:\David Terry C:\Dean Smith (MC) - 23
C:\John Owen C:\Michael Ja - 778
C:\Michael Ja C:\Daivd Terry (ds)
C:\Ali Smith C:\John Owen - x23
C:\Karen Seal - (CC)

I need macro which should sort column B list according to column A
list and results should look like as shown below

A B€¦€¦col
C:\David Terry C:\David Terry (ds)
C:\John Owen C:\John Owen - x23
C:\Michael Ja C:\Michael Ja - 778
C:\Ali Smith
C:\Dean Smith (MC) - 23
C:\Karen Seal - (CC)

Basically I want it to be sorted so same names in file paths should be
in same row
Please can any friend can help me on this
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try this:-

Sub sorter()
Dim intI As Integer, strColA As String, strColB As String
Range("A1:A" & Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row).Sort Range("A1"),
xlAscending
Range("B2:B" & Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row).Sort Range("B1"),
xlAscending
For intI = 1 To Range("A:B").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Row
strColA = Trim(Cells(intI, 1).Value)
strColB = Left(Cells(intI, 2).Value, Len(strColA))
If strColB < strColA Then
If strColB strColA Then
Cells(intI, 2).Insert
Else
Cells(intI, 1).Insert

"K" wrote in message
I got data in column A and B like see below. As you can see below I
got file paths listed in both columns.

A B……col
C:\David Terry C:\Dean Smith (MC) - 23
C:\John Owen C:\Michael Ja - 778
C:\Michael Ja C:\Daivd Terry (ds)
C:\Ali Smith C:\John Owen - x23
C:\Karen Seal - (CC)

I need macro which should sort column B list according to column A
list and results should look like as shown below

A B……col
C:\David Terry C:\David Terry (ds)
C:\John Owen C:\John Owen - x23
C:\Michael Ja C:\Michael Ja - 778
C:\Ali Smith
C:\Dean Smith (MC) - 23
C:\Karen Seal - (CC)

Basically I want it to be sorted so same names in file paths should be
in same row
Please can any friend can help me on this

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi gerry, thanks for replying. i tried your macro but it just add row
in between
the column A and B data instead of putting same name file path in same
row. please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

doing this type of exercise is usually don e better by using a find to
match the columns. Try this code. The items that matched I put an X in
column c. If you need the non matched items I can mdoify the code to
take the items without an X a move them to the bottom of the new list.

Sub SortColumns()

Set sht1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
Set Sht2 = Sheets("Sheet2")

'copy column A to sheet 2
sht1.Columns("A").Copy _
Destination:=Sht2.Columns("A")

With Sht2
'lookup column A on sht2 with column b on sht1
RowCount = 1
Do While .Range("A" & RowCount) < ""
Folder = .Range("A" & RowCount)
Set c = sht1.Columns("B").Find(what:=Folder, _
LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart)
If Not c Is Nothing Then
.Range("B" & RowCount) = c
'put Match into column C on sheet 1
c.Offset(0, 1) = "X"
End If

RowCount = RowCount + 1
Loop
End With

joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=149008

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi joel thanks for replying. your macro is not working. please see my
excel file in below link in which i explained every thing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6...75f6 e8ebb871

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Solution is real simple. I simply removed the file extension from the
filename in column A and the folder Name.

Sub SortColumns()

Set sht1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
Set Sht2 = Sheets("Sheet2")

'copy column A to sheet 2
sht1.Columns("A").Copy _
Destination:=Sht2.Columns("A")

With Sht2
'lookup column A on sht2 with column b on sht1
RowCount = 1
Do While .Range("A" & RowCount) < ""
'remove file extension
FName = .Range("A" & RowCount)
FName = Left(FName, InStrRev(FName, ".") - 1)
'remove Folder name
FName = Mid(FName, InStrRev(FName, "\") + 1)

'remove file extension from filename
Set c = sht1.Columns("B").Find(what:=FName, _
LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart)
If Not c Is Nothing Then
Range("B" & RowCount) = c
'put Match into column C on sheet 1
c.Offset(0, 1).Value = "X"
End If
RowCount = RowCount + 1
Loop
End With

joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=149008

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks lot Joel. i tried your code as well and it works superb. you
are the best
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just last question joel that what kind of code i need after line

..Range("B" & RowCount) = c
in your code that i can have unmatched item get listed on the bottom
of column B of sheet2. Because at the moment your macro only putting
the matched itmes in column B of sheet2 but i need that after putting
matched items then macro should list unmatched items on the bottom.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I used autofilter to get the unamtched items. I added a header row to
sheet 1 and then deleted the row. Autofilter doesn't work properly if
you don't have a header row.

[...]

NewRow = RowCount
End With

With Sht1
'get items not checked
LastRow = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
'Insert new row 1 so autofilter works properly
.Rows(1).Insert
.Range("C1") = "Header"
'check if there is at leat one blnak in column C
'so autofilter doesn't fail
Set FilterRange = .Range("C2:C" & LastRow)
Set c = FilterRange.Find(what:="", _
LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
If Not c Is Nothing Then
.Columns("C").AutoFilter
.Columns("C").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="="
.Range("B2:B" & LastRow).SpecialCells( _
Type:=xlCellTypeVisible).Copy _
Destination:=Sht2.Range("B" & NewRow)
'turn off autfilter
.Columns.AutoFilter